Author : Suraj Srivastav 1
Date of Publication :17th May 2019
Abstract: Rotary Ultrasonic Machining process is one of the best-suited advance machining processes for machining nonconductive, hard, brittle and non-metallic materials such as glass, alumina, ceramic, ferrite, quartz, zirconium oxide, ruby, sapphire, beryllium oxide, composites, etc. Soda lime glass has a wide range of application in the field of electronics optics and fluidics. In present work, a setup Rotary Ultrasonic Machining (RUM), and the experimental study of rotary ultrasonic machining (RUM) is performed. From innovative research, it is observed that high MRR, low overcut find out. The analysis helps us to analyze the effect of various input parameters like ultrasonic power (70, 80, 90 %W), spindle (1000 rpm), frequency (21.5, 22.5, 25.5 kHz) and abrasive grit number (30, 46, 60) on MRR which help to enhance the productivity of ultrasonic drilling. Taguchi's orthogonal array designs the experiments, Taguchi L9 orthogonal array for three factor-three level design is selected. Rotary ultrasonic machining is conducted by performing experiments work and optimizes output characteristics individually with rotary ultrasonic machining at 1000 rpm. Taguchi method is an approach to optimize the process parameters and improve the quality of machining components that are manufactured. By the help of graphs, optimum parameter values were obtained, and the confirmation experiments were carried out the Taguchi optimization method.
- Churi NJ, Pei ZJ and Treadwell C. Rotary ultrasonic machining of titanium alloy: effects of machining variables. Mach Sci Technol 2006; 10: 301–321.
- Cong WL, Feng Q, Pei ZJ, et al. Rotary ultrasonic machining of carbon fiber-reinforced plastic composites: using cutting fluid vs. cold air as coolant. J Compos Mater 2012; 46: 1745–1753.
- Zhang C, Cong W, Feng P, et al. Rotary ultrasonic machining of optical K9 glass using compressed air as coolant: a feasibility study. Proc IMechE, Part B: J Engineering Manufacture 2014; 228: 504–514.
- Fernando PKSC, Zhang M and Pei Z. Rotary ultrasonic machining of rocks: an experimental study. J Advances in Mechanical Eng 2018; 10(3): 1-9.
- Anwar S, Nasr MM, Pervaiz S, Al-Ahmari A, Alkahtani M, and Tamimi AE. A study on the effect of main process parameters of rotary ultrasonic machining for drilling BK17 glass. J Advances in Mechanical Eng 2018; 10(1): 1-12.
- S. Thirumalai Kumaran, T.J. Ko, C. Li, Z. Yu, M. Uthayakumar, Rotary ultrasonic machining of woven CFRP composite in a cryogenic environment, J ALLOY COMPD, 698(2017) 984-993.
- A. Goswami, J. Kumar, Optimization in wire-cut EDM of Nimonic-80A using Taguchi’s approach and utility concept,Eng. Sci.Technol.Int. J. 17 (2014) 236–246,