Author : Ravi 1
Date of Publication :10th October 2019
Abstract: Gears are one of the most critical components in mechanical power transmission systems. The bending and surface strength of the gear tooth are considered to be one of the main contributors for the failure of the gear in a gear set. Thus, analysis of stresses has become popular as an area of research on gears to minimize or to reduce the failures and for optimal design of gears. This thesis investigates the characteristics of involutes helical gear system mainly focused on bending and contact stresses using analytical and finite element analysis. To estimate the bending stress, three-dimensional solid models for different number of teeth are generated by Pro/Engineer that is a powerful and modern solid modeling software and the numerical solution is done by ANSYS, which is a finite element analysis package. The analytical investigation is based on Lewis stress formula.
- Yonatan, F., Variable Mesh Stiffness of Spur Gear Teeth Using FEM, M.sc. thesis Department of mechanical Engineering.
- Tsay, C.B., and Fong, Z.H., Computer Simulation and Stress Analysis of Helical Gears with Pinions Circular arc teeth and Gear involute teeth, Mech. of Mach. Theory, 26, pp.145-154, 1991.
- Norton, R.L., Machine Design: An Integrated Approach, New Jersey: prentice- Hall Inc. 1996.
- Vijayarangan, S., and Ganesan, N., A Static Analysis of Composite Helical Gears Using Three-dimensional Finite Element Method, Computers & Structures, 49,pp.253- 268,1993.
- Maitra, G.M, Hand Book of Gear Design, TataMcGrawHill, New Delhi, 2004.