Author : Gokul Krishnan S 1
Date of Publication :13th May 2020
Abstract: Gasification is a thermo-chemical process which converts carbonaceous materials into producer gas or chemical feedstock. The present paper deals with a review on experimental investigations and ASPEN Plus simulations of fluidized bed biomass gasification. In experimental investigation the effect of gasifying agent, bed temperature, equivalence ratio (ER), steam to biomass ratio (SBR) and sorbent to biomass ratio (SOBR), bed material are considered. From the review of experimental works, it is observed that the performance of biomass gasification greatly depends on operating parameters such as equivalence ratio, steam to biomass ratio, temperature, gasifying agent, biomass, catalyst and type of sorbent used. On the other hand, review on ASPEN plus simulation deals with the modeling and simulation of biomass gasification through equilibrium model, kinetic model and combination of both. It is found that kinetic models can predict the temporal and spatial variation of gasification products compared to the maximum achievable yield predicted by the equilibrium model. Even though more accurate, kinetic models are more computationally intensive due to the inclusion of reaction kinetics and hydrodynamics compared to equilibrium models.
- P. Basu,“ Biomass gasification and pyrolysis practical design”.
- J. J. Ramirez, J. D. Martinez and S. L. Petro “Basic design of a fluidized bed gasifier for ricehusk on a pilot scale”. Latin American Applied Research, vol. 37, pp. 299-306, 2007.
- P. Basu, “Combustion and Gasification in fluidized beds”.Taylor and Francis.  M. P. G. Vázquez, R. García, M.V. Gil, C. Pevida and F. Rubiera,“Comparison of the gasification performance of multiple biomass types in a bubbling fluidized bed”. Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 176, pp. 309–323, 2018.
- T. M. Ismail, M. A. Salam , E. Monteiro and A. Rouboa, “Fluid dynamics model on fluidized bed gasifier using agro-industrial biomass as fuel”. Waste Management, 2017
- J. H. Kuo, C. L. Lin , T. J. Chang, W. C. Weng and J. Y. Liu, “Impact of using calcium oxide as a bed material on hydrogen production in two-stage fluidized bed gasification”. International journal o f hydrogen energy, 2016
- C. L. Lin, M. H. Wu and W. C. Weng, “Effect of the type of bed material in two-stage fluidized bed gasification reactors on hydrogen gas synthesis and heavy metal distribution”. International journal of hydrogen energy, 2018.
- J. Karla and T. Prollb, “Steam gasification of biomass in dual fluidized bed gasifiers: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 98, pp. 64–78, 2018
- W. Song, G. Song, X. Qi and Q. Lu, “Transformation characteristics of sodium in Zhundong coal under circulating fluidized bed gasification”. Fuel, vol. 182, pp. 660–667, 2016.
- J. Corella, J. M. Toledo and G. Molina, “Biomass gasification with pure steam in fluidised bed: 12 variables that affect the effectiveness of the biomass gasifier”. Int. J. Oil, Gas and Coal Technology, Vol. 1, pp. 1/2, 2008.