Author : Salim Idris Malami 1
Date of Publication :19th June 2020
Abstract: The objective of this research is to explore the effect of sawdust as an admixture in concrete as well as that of sodium chloride solution as a curing medium of concrete. Most of the constructions in nearby sea areas utilize the sea water for curing concrete which contains a considerable amount of sodium chloride and also utilizing sawdust waste will be of great advantage due to the high rising cost of conventional building materials. The results show that the slump value of the concrete mix reduces as the amount of the sawdust (admixture) increases. also there is progressive loss of compressive strength of cubes cured in 5% sodium chloride having concentration of 50,000PPT with increase in sawdust content of 0%, 5%, 10% and 15% ranged 17.56 N/mm2 to 16.22 N/mm2 at 7days, 22.27N/mm2 to 16.92 N/mm2 at 14days, 22.77 N/mm2 to 20.09 N/mm2 at 21days and 24.34 N/mm2 to 21.45 N/mm2 at 28days respectively. The results show that Sodium Chloride has the properties of impurity reducing the strength of concrete and sawdust is not suitable to be used as admixture because it shows a progressive decrease in the compressive strength of concrete with a corresponding increase in its content.
- ACI Committee E-701. “Aggregates for Concrete ACI: Materials For Concrete”, Construction Education Bulletin E1-99:1-26. 1999.
- Kamran M. N.“Cm 425-Concrete Technology”, University Of Washington, Winter Quarter. Http://Courses.Washington.Edu/Cm425/Aggregate.P Df. Accessed: June 24, 2013
- Henry, R.L., Griffin, D.F. (1964) “The Effect of Salt in Concrete on Compressive Strength.”
- Cody, R. D., Cody, A. M., Spry, P. G., &Gan, G.:(1996) “An Experimental Study of Concrete Deterioration by Deicing Salts”. (1996)
- Shi, X., Fay, L., Peterson, M.M., Berry, M., & Mooney, M. (2011). “A FESEM/EDX investigation into how continuous deicer exposure affects the chemistry of Portland cement concrete”. Construction and building materials, Vol. 25, Isuue 2, Feb, 2011 Pp957-966.
- Ali Mangi, Norwati Jamaluddin, Wan Ibrahim M.H, Noridah Mohamad, Samiullah (2017) “Utilization of Sawdust Ash as Cement Replacement for The Concrete Production: A Review” Engineering Science and Technology International Research Journal, Vol.1, issue.3, Sep, 2017 Pp:11-15.
- Peer, Syed Azhar Nazir, Khubbab Fa Mohammad (2015) “Partial Replacement of Cement by Saw Dust Ash in Concrete A Sustainable Approach” International Journal of Engineering Research and Development Vol. 11, Issue 02 Feb, 2015, Pp:48-53
- Kamalakannan. N, Nagaraj. D, Sathish. P, DastagirAlam M.D, Enjamul Hoque (2019) “Experimental Analysis on Concrete with Partial Replacement of Sawdust Ash and Coir Fibre” International Journal of Engineering Science and Computing, Vol. 9 Issue 3, March, 2019 Pp:20212-20216.