Author : Sumit Kashyap 1
Date of Publication :20th November 2020
Abstract: Abstract—Additive manufacturing (AM) is a method of manufacturing process where layers of raw materials are built up to create a solid object from computer aided design (CAD) design to the final part. It is also called as rapid prototyping or 3D printing. The AM in recent years has covered almost all the materials in manufacturing industry including medical sector. There are different types of AM technologies which are utilized by different industry for the purpose of product development and prototyping. Out of various AM techniques, Fused Deposition Modelling (FDM) used widely. FDM is a technology in which the melted thermoplastic materials are squeezed from the nozzle and any type of complex geometry can be obtained by tracing boundaries of the design with squeezed material. This paper presents an experimental analysis of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) material used with FDM to prototype a specimen. The major parameters considered are infill density, fill pattern and material consumption. Specimen is designed in SOLIDWORKS software. The results are discussed based on the effects and inter-relation of the mentioned parameter on surface quality.
- K. V. Wong and A. Hernandez, “A Review of Additive Manufacturing,” ISRN Mech. Eng., vol. 2012, pp. 1–10, 2012, doi: 10.5402/2012/208760.
- J.-P. Kruth, M. C. Leu, and T. Nakagawa, “Progress in Additive Manufacturing and Rapid Prototyping,” CIRP Ann., vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 525–540, 1998, doi: 10.1016/S0007-8506(07)63240-5
- N. Li et al., “Progress in additive manufacturing on new materials: A review,” J. Mater. Sci. Technol., vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 242–269, Feb. 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.jmst.2018.09.002
- S. Liu and Y. C. Shin, “Additive manufacturing of Ti6Al4V alloy: A review,” Mater. Des., vol. 164, p. 107552, Feb. 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.matdes.2018.107552
- B. Vayre, F. Vignat, and F. Villeneuve, “Designing for Additive Manufacturing,” Procedia CIRP, vol. 3, pp. 632–637, 2012, doi: 10.1016/j.procir.2012.07.108.
- D. Ahn, H. Kim, and S. Lee, “Surface roughness prediction using measured data and interpolation in layered manufacturing,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., vol. 209, no. 2, pp. 664–671, Jan. 2009, doi: 10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2008.02.050.
- Y. Zhao, K. Zhao, Y. Li, and F. Chen, “Mechanical characterization of biocompatible PEEK by FDM,” J. Manuf. Process., vol. 56, pp. 28–42, Aug. 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.jmapro.2020.04.063.
- A. Pandzic, D. Hodzic, and A. Milovanovic, “Effect of Infill Type and Density on Tensile Properties of PLA Material for FDM Process,” in DAAAM Proceedings, 1st ed., vol. 1, B. Katalinic, Ed. DAAAM International Vienna, 2019, pp. 0545–0554.
- S. H. Huang, P. Liu, A. Mokasdar, and L. Hou, “Additive manufacturing and its societal impact: a literature review,” Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., vol. 67, no. 5–8, pp. 1191–1203, Jul. 2013, doi: 10.1007/s00170-012-4558-5.
- N. Guo and M. C. Leu, “Additive manufacturing: technology, applications and research needs,” Front. Mech. Eng., vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 215–243, Sep. 2013, doi: 10.1007/s11465-013-0248-8.