Author : M. Velliangiri 1
Date of Publication :9th February 2018
Abstract: This article focused on the simulation, experimental study of performance parameters, exhaust gas recirculation, heat release rate for multicylinder preheated turbocharge direct injection ultra-high compression ignition engine. Simulation results, methodology, combustion models, sub-models were used to find optimised performance parameters for better combustion. Optimum piston bowl parameters were identified by conducting a test with constant compression ratio (28.54:1) and constant speed mode (1500 rpm) by varying Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) ratio between 0 to 15%, and emission characteristics were found. Optimised EGR ratio among the variations and predicted suitable ignition timing and duration for ethanol HCI engine were selected from simulation results. Variation of In-cylinder pressure, heat release rate with Crank Angle and Specific Fuel Consumption, Ignition Delay, along with NOx and Particulate Matter emission results were obtained from the simulation and experimental results. Simulation results were exploited to choose better combustion with less fuel consumption. A partial preheating of exhaust gas is performed to boost the intake air temperature to 65 deg C. The experiments were done with a randomly selected set of 7 injection holes and their expected ignition delay. Ignition delay was reduced, and the NOx reduction hit about 76 percent, while the EGR rise provided a 0.6-0.9 percent increase while burning higher percentages of fuel.
- A. Demirbas, "Progress and recent trends in biofuels," Prog. Energy Combust. Sci., vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 1– 18, 2007.
- H. Chen, J. Wang, S. Shuai, and W. Chen, "Study of oxygenated biomass fuel blends on a diesel engine," Fuel, vol. 87, no. 15–16, pp. 3462–3468, 2008.
- S. Kimura, O. Aoki, Y. Kitahara, and E. Aiyoshizawa, "Ultra-Clean Combustion Technology Combining a Low-Temperature and Premixed Combustion Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standards," 2001.
- N. Raeie, S. Emami, and O. Karimi Sadaghiyani, "Effects of injection timing, before and after top dead centre on the propulsion and power in a diesel engine," Propuls. Power Res., vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 59–67, 2014.
- A. S. Kuleshov, "Model for predicting air-fuel mixing, combustion and emissions in DI diesel engines over the whole operating range," 2005.
- C. D. Rakopoulos, D. C. Rakopoulos, D. T. Hountalas, E. G. Giakoumis, and E. C. Andritsakis, "Performance and emissions of bus engine using blends of diesel fuel with bio-diesel of sunflower or cottonseed oils derived from Greek feedstock," Fuel, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 147– 157, 2008.
- J. Jonathan Chaplin and R. Bin Rimfiel Bin Janus, "Ethanol Fumigation of a Compression-Ignition Engine Using Advanced Injection of Diesel Fuel," Trans. ASAE, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 0610–0614, 1987.
- C. C. D. Rakopoulos, G. N. G. Taklis, and E. E. I. Tzanos, "Analysis of combustion chamber insulation effects on the performance and exhaust emissions of a DI diesel engine using a multi-zone model," Heat Recover. Syst. CHP, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 691–706, Oct. 1995.
- N. Saravanan, G. Nagarajan, G. Sanjay, C. Dhanasekaran, and K. M. Kalaiselvan, "Combustion analysis on a DI diesel engine with hydrogen in dual fuel mode," Fuel, vol. 87, no. 17–18, pp. 3591–3599, 2008.
- K. P. Kumar and K. Yuvaraj, "Analysis of Performance and Emission Parameters on Diesel Engine Using Various Blended Bio-Fuels," vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1319– 1324, 2016