Author : Nair Anjali 1
Date of Publication :11th May 2021
Abstract: Drying is carried on for preservation of food items since ages. Industries normally use its 60% of energy Supply to dry Food items. Solar dryers can be a good replacement. This paper represents mixed mode type of dryer for theoretical and experimental evaluation of removing of moisture from raw Banana using phase change material (paraffin wax) as thermal storage system. Mix mode dryer include FPC which contains PCM chamber in it. Phase change material has been used to achieve performance of dryer even during off shine hours. Experiment was performed on the dryer and data was collected for no load condition, loaded condition, using PCM wax as well as without using PCM material. The phase change material used here is 7 Kg paraffin wax. Drying rate was seen 0.8 g/h without using PCM while with PCM it was 1.5 g/h, even during evening time when sun radiation was absent. Heat utilization Factor was seen average 0.8 in presences of PCM, while it was seen average 0.5 without using PCM.
- Fudholi A, Sopian K, Gabbasa M, Bakhtyar B, Yahya M, Ruslan MH, Mat S (2015) Technoeconomic of solar drying systems with water based solar collector in Malaysia: A review. Renew sustain energy rev 51:809-820.
- Kant K, Shukla A, Sharma A, Kumar A, Jain A (2016) Thermal energy storage based solar drying system: A review. Innovative Food Sci Emerg technol 34:86-99.
- Prakash O, Kumar A (2014) Solar greenhouse drying: A Review. Renew sustain energy Rev 29:905-910
- Sharma A, Tyagi VV, Chen CR, Buddhi D (2009) Review on thermal energy storage with phase change materials and applications. Renew sustain energy Rev 13:318-345
- Alkan C, Sari A (2008) Fatty acid/ Poly(methyl methacrylate) PMMA blends as form-stable Phase change materials for latent heat thermal energy storage. Solar Energy 82:118-124
- Karaipekli A, Sari A (2008) Capric-myristic acid/expanded perlite composite as form-stable phase change material for latent heat thermal energy storage. Renew sustain energy Rev 33:2599-2605
- Tuncbilek K, Sari A, Tarhan S, Ergunes G, Kaygusuz K (2005) Lauric and Palmitic acid eutectic mixture as latent heat storage material for low temperature heating application. Energy 30:677-692.
- David D, Johannes K, Roux J-J, Kuznik F (2011) A review on phase change materials integrated in building walls. Renew Sustain Energy Rev 15:379- 391
- DSC (2010) Differential scanning calorimeter operator’s manual.
- Agarwal A, Sarviya R (2017) Characterization of commercial grade paraffine wax as latent heat storage material for solar dryers. Science direct materials today 4:779-789.