Author : P.Sharmila Rani 1
Date of Publication :11th May 2021
Abstract: In the scenario of dynamic spectrum access in a Cognitive Radio Network (CRN), the authorized frequency is always used by Primary Users (PU) or Licensed Users (LU) and Cognitive Radio (CR) users can use this spectrum when licensed users are not utilizing it. In some cases, a complete similar kind of signal is generated by the attacker, and it looks like an error created by the Licensed User. So, the CR user is confused, and it erroneously detects the attacker as licensed user and immediately vacates the spectrum. This type of attacker is named as Primary user Emulation Attack (PUEA). Detection and defense of PUE attack, recognizing the interferences produced by the multiple PUEA to the PU and also to analyze the various problems arising in the data transmission are an important aspects in successful functioning of a CRN. This paper mainly focuses on PUEA and its defensive strategies in a CRN.
- Sureka, N., & Gunaseelan, K. “Detection& Defense against Primary User Emulation Attack in Dynamic Cognitive Radio Networks,” IEEE Fifth International Conference on Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics, Vol. 1, pp. 505-510, 2019
- Sharma, R. K., & Wallace, J. W. “Correlationbased sensing for cognitive radio networks: Bounds and experimental assessment,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol.11, pp.657-666, 2011.
- Ruslan, R., & Ab Rahman, N. M. “Performance Evaluation of Dual Diversity Cognitive Ad-hoc Routing Protocol (D2CARP) on Primary User (PU) Activation Time: A Simulation Approach,” Journal of Computing Research and Innovation, vol.2, pp.26-36, 2017.
- Masonta, M. T., Mzyece, M., & Ntlatlapa, N. “Spectrum decision in cognitive radio networks: A survey,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol.15, pp.1088-1107, 2013.
- Chaitanya, D. L., & Chari, K. M. “Performance analysis of PUEA and SSDF attacks in cognitive radio networks,” Computer Communication, Networking and Internet Security, Springer, Singapore, pp. 219-225, May 2017
- S. Chen, K. Zeng, and P. Mohapatra. “Hearing is believing: detecting mobile primary user emulation attack in white space,” IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications, April 2011.
- Fassi Fihri, W., El Ghazi, H., Abou El Majd, B., & El Bouanani, F. “A decision‐making approach for detecting the primary user emulation attack in cognitive radio networks,” International Journal of Communication Systems, 32(15), e4026, 2019.
- TA. D. T., Nguyen-Thanh, N., Maillé, P., & Nguyen, V. T. “Strategic surveillance against primary user emulation attacks in cognitive radio networks,” IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking, 4(3), 582- 596,2018
- Muñoz, E. C., Rodriguez-Colina, E., Pedraza, L. F., & Paez, I. P. “Detection of dynamic location primary user emulation on mobile cognitive radio networks using USRP,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2020(1), 1-19, 2020.
- Pu, D., Aygun, B., & Wyglinski, A. M. “Primary user emulation detection algorithm based on distributed sensor networks. International Journal of Wireless Information Networks,” 24(4), 344- 355, 2017.