Author : Reenarani Wairokpam 1
Date of Publication :9th October 2021
Abstract: In this study, activated carbon derived from Alocasia indica (Taro) was used for the removal of Fe(II). pH of 6, dosage of 3g/L with time of contact 80 mins were the optimal conditions obtained in the batch experimentation process. The adsorbent surface area was identified by BET technique and characterized by Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and Energy dispersive X-ray measurements (EDAX). The adsorption kinetics study reveals that the kinetic data follows Pseudo-2nd -order with higher R2 of 0.99 and lesser chi square value of 0.001. From the experimental data, it was observed that isotherm model fitted well with Langmuir isotherm with maximum adsorption capacity of 4.975 mg/g and R2 value of 0.98, indicating chemical adsorption and formation of homogenous surface. Thermodynamic studies revealed that the adsorption process is spontaneous and endothermic.
- L. Chandana, K. Krushnamurty, D. Suryakala and C. Subrahmanyan,”Low-cost adsorbent derived from the coconut shell for the removal of hexavalent chromium from aqueous solution,” Materials Today: Proceedings, vol.26, pp.44-51, July 2019
- M. O. Borna et al, “Batch and column studies for the adsorption of chromium(VI) on low-cost Hibiscus Cannabinus kenaf, a green adsorbent,” Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, vol.68, pp.80-89, Nov.2016.
- S. Khandaker, Y. Toyohara, G. C. Saha, M. R. Awual and T. Kuba,”Development of synthetic zeolites from bio-slag for cesium adsorption: kinetic, isotherm and thermodynamic studies,” Journal of Water Process Engineering, vol.33, pp.1- 10, Feb.2020.
- E. C. Nnadozie and P. A.Ajibade,” Adsorption, kinetic and mechanistic studies of Pb(II) and Cr(VI) ions using APTES functionalized magnetic biochar,” Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, vol.32, pp.106-292, Oct. 2020.
- G. Ketsela , Z. Animen and A. Talema,” Adsorption of Lead (II), Cobalt (II) and Iron (II) From Aqueous Solution by Activated Carbon Prepared From White Lupine (GIBITO) HSUK,” Journal of Thermodynamics and Catalysis, vol.11, pp.1-8, August 2020.
- H. Peng, J. Guo and B. Wang, “Adsorption behavior of Fe (III) in aqueous solution on melamine,” Water Science and Technology, vol.82, pp.1848-1857, Nov.2020.
- M. H. Salmani et al,“ Removal of Cr(VI) oxoanion from contaminated water using granular Jujube stems as a porous adsorbent,” Groundwater for Sustainable Development, vol.8, pp.319-323, April 2019.
- A. M. Ahmed, M. I. Ayad , M. A. Eledkawy, M. A. Darweesh and E. M. Elmelegy,” Removal of iron, zinc and nickel-ions using nano bentonite and its application on power station wastewater,“ Heliyon, vol.7, pp.1-14, Feb.2021.