Author : Soibam Sangeeta 1
Date of Publication :9th October 2021
Abstract: This study investigates the use of chemically activated Pumpkin (Cucurbita) peels impregnated with H3PO4 (APP) for toxic chromium removal from aqueous solutions. The adsorption processes were carried out through batch method at pH ranges from 2-10 and adsorbent APP dosage of 1-6 g/L. The optimum operating conditions were achieved at pH 2 and time of contact 120 min attaining the highest metal intake at 3g of the adsorbent per 1L of the aqueous solution having total chromium removal of 89%. The adsorption kinetics follows pseudo 2nd order model with a Chi square value of 0.132. Both the Freundlich and Langmuir were applied to describe the experimental data and it fitted well with both the isotherms with a correlation coefficients of 0.97 and 0.99 and a Chi square (2) values of 0.001 and 0.01 respectively.
- G. Wojcik, K. Wieszczycka, P. Aksamitowski, and J. Zembrzuska, “Elimination of Carcinogenic Chromium (VI) by Reduction at Two-Phase System”, Separation and Purification Technology,vol. 238, 116410, May 2020.
- M.W. Rahman, M.Y. Ali, I. Saha, M. Al Raihan, M. Moniruzzaman, M.J. Alam, A. Deb and M.M.R. Khan, “Date palm fiber as a potential low-cost adsorbent to uptake chromium (VI) from industrial wastewater”, Desalination and Water Treatment, vol. 88, pp. 169–178, August 2017.
- E. Ben Khalifa, B. Rzig, R. Chakroun, H. Nouagui and B. Hamrouni, “Application of response surface methodology for chromium removal by adsorption on low-cost biosorbent”, Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 189, pp. 18-26, April2019
- Kim, M Kyung, K. S. Sundaram, G. A Iyengar, and K. Lee. "A novel chitosan functional gel included with multiwall carbon nanotube and substituted polyaniline as adsorbent for efficient removal of chromium ion", Chemical Engineering Journal, vol 267, pp. 51-64, May 2015.
- P. Miretzkya and A. F. Cirelli “Cr(VI) and Cr(III) removal from aqueous solution by raw and modified lignocellulosic materials: A review”, Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 180 pp. 1–19, August 2010.
- A Pholosi, E. B. Naidoo and A. E. Ofomaja, “Intraparticle diffusion of Cr(VI) through biomass and magnetite coated biomass: A comparative kinetic and diffusion study”, South African Journal of Chemical Engineering, vol 32, pp. 39–55, April 2020.
- I. Enniya, L. Rghioui and A. Jourani. "Adsorption of hexavalent chromium in aqueous solution on activated carbon prepared from apple peels", Sustainable Chemistry and Pharmacy, vol 7, pp. 9-16, March 2018.
- S. A. Sadeeka, N. A. Negmb, H. H. H. Hefnib, M. M. A Wahabb, “Metal adsorption by agricultural biosorbents: Adsorption isotherm,kinetic and biosorbents chemical structures”, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules,vol. 81 pp. 400–409, August 2015.
- K.M. Sreenivas, M.B. Inarkar, S.V. Gokhale and S.S. Lele. "Re-utilization of ash gourd (Benincasa hispida) peel waste for chromium (VI) biosorption: Equilibrium and column studies", Journal of Env. Chemical Engineering, vo. 2, pp. 455-462, March 2014.
- L. Chandana, K. Krushnamurty, D. Suryakala and C. Subrahmanyam. "Low-cost adsorbent derived from the coconut shell for the removal of hexavalent chromium from aqueous medium", Materials Today: Proceedings 26, July 2019.
- I. Osasona and A. O. Adebayo and O. O. Ajayi, “Adsorptive Removal of Chromium (VI) from Aqueous Solution Using Cow Hooves” Journal of Scientific Research and Reports,vol. 2(1), pp. 288-303, January 2013.
- E. Pertile, T. Dvorsky , V. Vaclavik and S. Heviankova, “Use of Different Types of Biosorbents to Remove Cr (VI) from Aqueous Solution”, Life 2021, vol. 11, pp. 1-22, March 2021
- Ş. Parlayici and E.Pehlivan, “Comparative study of Cr (VI) removal by bio-waste adsorbents: equilibrium, kinetics, and thermodynamic”, Journal of Analytical Science and Technology, vol. 10, Article number: 15, April 2019.
- E. Mekonnen, M. Yitbarek and T. R. Soreta, “Kinetic and Thermodynamic Studies of the Adsorption of Cr(VI) onto Some Selected Local Adsorbents”, South Afican. Journal of Chemistry, vol. 68, pp. 45-52, April 2015.
- D. Mohan, D. Rajput, S. Singh, V.K. Steele and P.H. Pittman, “Modelling and evaluation of chromium remediation from water using low cost bio-char, a green adsorbent”. Journal of Hazardous Material, vol. 188, pp. 319-333, April 2011.