Author : Sekhar, A.C 1
Date of Publication :22nd November 2021
Abstract: Grouting is normally undertaken to increase the strength of loose sandy soil formations. Determination of shear strength of these grouted sandy soils is very difficult and is a time-consuming process. But on the other hand, the determination of compressive strength is comparatively easy. In this paper, an attempt has been made to correlate the compressive strength and shear strength of grouted sandy soil. Compressive strength tests and direct shear tests were conducted on a series of samples prepared at different cement contents. The correlation developed between the Shear strength and the Compressive strength will be very much useful to the researchers and the field engineers to estimate the shear strength parameters of these hard soils from the Compressive strength
- G.W.Clough,N.Sitar,R.C.Bachus and N.S. Rad, “Cemented sands under static loading”,Journal of Geotechnical Engineering Div., ASCE, Vol. 107,No GT6,799-817,1981. [
- J.Glory, B.M.Abraham,B.T.Jose, and B. Paul, “Improvement of bearing capacity of sandy soils by grouting”. The New Millennium Conference IGC pp 14-16 ,2001.
- A.Ata and C.Vipulandan, “Factors affecting mechanical and creep properties of silicate grouted sand,” J.Geotech.Geoenviron.Eng.125(10),868-876,1999.
- T.G.S.Kumar,B.M.Abraham,A.Sridharan and B.T.Jose, “Bearing capacity improvement of loose sandy foundation soils through grouting”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (IJERA), ISSN: 2248-9622, Vol. 1 (3), pp 1026-1033(2011a).
- J.M.Sinroja,N.H.Joshi and A.V.Shroff, “Ground improvement technique using microfine slag cement grouts” IGC 2006,14-16 December 2006,Chennai,p 661- 664,2006
- B.C.Chattopadhya and S.Saha “Effect of grain size of cohesion less soil on its shear strength characteristics”, Sym.Engrg.Behaviour of course grain soil,boulders and rocks,Geomech-81,Vol 2,291-297,1981
- P.V.Lade and D.D.Overton, “Cementation effects in frictional materials”, J.Geotech.Engrg., ASCE, 115(10),1373-1387,1989.
- K.Venkatraman,P. Dayakar and K.V.B. Raju, “Improvement of sandy soil by low pressure grouting using cement grout”, Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vol.9 Issue 2,2016.
- K.Venkatraman,P.Dayakar and Venkitakrishnaiah, “Study of permeation grouting in coarse grain soil with cement chemical grout (Sodium Silicates)”, Intranational Journal for pure and Applied Mathematics.Vol.119 No 12 ,9289- 9300,2018.
- M.N.J.Al-Awad, “Simple correlation to evaluate MohrCoulomb failure criterion using uniaxial compressive strength”,j.King Saud Uni.,Vol.14 Eng.Sci.(1),pp 137- 145,Riyad,2002.
- A.V.Shroff, and D.L.Shah, “Grouting technology in tunnelling and dam construction”, Oxford and IBH publishing Company, New Delhi,1992.
- S.Akbulut and A.Saglamer, “Estimating the groutability of granular soils: a new approach”, Jl. Tunnelling and underground space technology, Elsevier Science Ltd.17 pp 371-380 ,2002
- B.M.Abraham, T.G.S.Kumar,A. Sridharan and B.T. Jose, “Strength improvement of loose sandy soils through cement grouting” Indian Geotechnical journal,44(3) 234-240,2014.
- T.G.S.Kumar,B.M. Abraham,A.Sridharan,and B.T.Jose,”Determination of cement content of grouted sandy soils”, International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering, ISSN 0974-5904, Vol. 04, No. 06 SPL pp 169-172,2011b.
- J.Yang,Y. Cheng and W.Chen “Experimental Study on Diffusion Law of Post-Grouting Slurry in Sandy Soil”, Advances in Civil Engineering, Article ID 3493942,
- G.S.Kumar,M.K.Sumanth and M.Samuel “ A review paper on stabilization of sandy soil by using cement grouting technique, Journal of Critical Reviews, ISSN-2394-5125, Vol 7, Issue 14,902-908,2020.