Author : Sekhar.A.C 1
Date of Publication :30th November 2021
Abstract: For the construction of foundations in weak grounds, the engineering properties of foundation soil is to be improved. Grouting is one of the effective methods for improving the engineering property of the soil. Cement is most widely used as the grout material for the sandy soil formation. Cement improves the strength and make the sand formation impermeable. If the permeability reduction is the primary objective the use of cement in large quantity cost more. Hence the use of bentonite as additive will give a grout with more effective in the permeability reduction. The swelling property make the bentonite a perfect grout material for reducing the permeability. But the stability of bentonite at higher hydraulic head is questionable. The combination of cement for strength and bentonite for reducing the permeability will be an economical combination for the grouting to reduce the permeability. The presence of cement in bentonite will affect the swelling property of the bentonite. This paper evaluates the presence of cement content in the swelling property of bentonite.
- Shroff,A.V.and Shah,D.L (1992) “Grouting technology in tunnelling and dam construction”.Oxford and IBH publishing company, New Delhi.
- Kumar,T.G.S., Abraham.B.M. Sridharan,A. and Jose,B.T. (2012) “Bearing capacity Improvements of Loose Sandy Foundation Soils through grouting”. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications Vol.1 Issue 3.1026-1033
- Sivapullaiah, P.V.,Sitharam,T.G.and Subba Rao,K.S.(1987) “Modified Free Swell Index for Clays” Geotechnical Testing Journal.GTJODI.Vol.10,No.2,June 1987,pp.88-85
- Naudts,A., Landry,E.,Stephen Hooey,S. and Naudts,W. “Additives and Admixtures in Cement-based grouts
- Glory,J.,Abraham,B.M.,Jose,B.T.and Paul,.(2001) “Improvements of bearing capacity of sandy soil by grouting” IGC 2001,The New millennium Conference 14-16 Dec,2001 Indore(MP).