Author : Dr. Anish M N 1
Date of Publication :30th June 2022
Abstract: In accordance with globalization, privatization etc., India is the 5th largest auto market in the world. Along with that, India ranks 3rd in carbon emission as per the data of 2020 proving, the total CO2 emission has been increased to 988.6 tonnes per year. Hence, there is a tremendous increase in air pollution. In some cities, 80% of air pollution is from automobile exhaust. Although coming is an era of e-mobility, the immediate transformation from internal combustion engine to electric vehicle seems to be hectic. This is because of many factors such as expense, charging facility, power etc. Analyzing the difficulty in the rapid face change, suitable techniques can be introduced which can purify and reduce the automobile exhaust minimizing the amount of harmful chemicals in it. The chemicals coming after EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation) include CO2, SO2, NO2, CO and hydrocarbons which could generate particulate matter. These contaminants are a threat to the living beings as well as the archaeological monuments. There exists another fact that the arrival of the vehicle scrappage policy may be an unfortunate hit for the owners having vehicles older than 20 years. Due to the harmful exhaust gas, these are to be scrapped even though they have high performance at the scrapping time. Hence, this project discusses various techniques which can be employed to absorb the hazardous pollutants from the exhaust gas before releasing to the atmosphere. The project explains the various experimental methods including catalysis, honeycomb filtering, UV method etc., resulting in the design of an efficient tail gas purification system in a moving vehicle. Hence, through proper research if the project gives a good result in the purification process, this might be an excellent solution for the above addressed problems.
- Dey,S. , Mehta,N.S- Automobile pollution control using catalysis, Resources, Environment and ustainability, Elsevier, Volume 2, 2020.
- Akio, Hongyu,Huang,X., Iwai,Y., Kodama, Kentaro, Li, Osaka, Tsujiguchi, Takuya, Basic study on exhaust gas purification by utilizing plasma assisted MnO2 filter for zero-emission diesel Separation and Purification Technology, 2019.
- Valerievich,O. M. and Vilevich,M. D., - Applying of ozone - catalytic device for decision of cold start problem of automobile engine, 2020 International Conference on Electrotechnical Complexes and Systems (ICOECS), 2020.
- Pandya, H., Kedar, M., Hem, P., Sohilsha, R., Ranjan, R., Baraiya, T. Air & Sound Pollution- Solution for Automobiles-Aqua Silencer, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering, 2017.
- Ai,D. and Ohyama,R. A fundamental characteristic on photochemical adsorption of carbon dioxide to calcium hydroxide, Annual Report Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, 2005.
- Chen, Z., Gao, L., Li, Z., Liu, L., Jiao, P., and Zhang, W.- experimental study on catalytic removal of PM and NOx by La2Cu(1−x)FexO4, 2011 International Conference on Electrical and Control Engineering, 2011.
- Ma, Y. and Wang, J. ,- A Predictive Control Method for Automotive Selective Catalytic Reduction Systems, 2019 American Control Conference (ACC), 2019.
- Moazzem, S., Rasul, M. G., Khan, M. M. K, An Evaluation of CO2 Emission Reduction through Carbonation Technology IEEE 2011 Asia- Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC) - Wuhan, 2011 Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference,2011.
- Chen, Z., Li, J., Wang,H., Yao, J., and Zhai, X., Preparation, Characterization and Kinetics of V2O5-MoO3/TiO2/Al2O3 Catalyst on Wire-Mesh Honeycomb for the Selective Catalytic Reduction of NO with NH3, 2019 International Conference on Energy and Environment Technology, 2019.
- Liu, Y., and Tan, J. Experimental Study on Solid SCR Technology to Reduce NOx Emissions from Diesel Engines, in IEEE Access, 2020
- Milutin, E. R., Ryzhikov, V. A. and Solovyov,S. G., Improvement of the Design of a Microprocessor-Based Power Supply Control System of an Internal Combustion Engine, IEEE East-West Design & Test Symposium, 2018.
- Jung,C. , Kim,Y., Kim, C. H., Kim,Y. W., and Lee, J. M., Backstepping control integrated with model predictive control for selective catalytic reduction system of diesel vehicle, 18th International Conference on Control, 2019