Author : Dhirendra Pratap Singh 1
Date of Publication :18th May 2022
Abstract: In this article, Response Surface Methodology (RSM) and Multi-objective Particle Swarm Optimization (MOPSO) were used to optimize the output response of Material Removal Rate (MRR) and Surface Roughness(SR) of die-sinking Electrical discharge machining (EDM). An aluminum based metal matrix composites, reinforced with alumina, prepared by stir casting, was used for machining on EDM by Copper (Cu) and Titanium (Ti) tool. Box- Behnken Design (BBD) approach of RSM was used to design the experiment by considering four input factors at three levels. This developed model for multi-objective optimization by MOPSO and an RSM-based multi-objective optimization was also designed for input parameters. And it was found that the MOPSO technique was easy and valuable for parametric optimization of EDM. From MOPSO, optimized input parameters for machining of AMMC using Cu tool are current 4A, Voltage 60V, pulse on-time 100 µs, and duty factor 6. From MOPSO, optimized input parameters for machining of AMMC using Ti tool are current 4.241658A, Voltage 60V, pulse on-time 100 µs, and duty factor 4. The confirmatory test found that MRR and SR decreased by 63.86 % and 53.083% for the Cu tool, respectively, for MOPSO compared to RSM optimize value.
- D. Zolotova, V. Serpova, M. Prokofiev, L. Rabinskiy and A. Shavnev, A study of the composition and microstructure of aluminum matrix composites reinforced with alumina fibers. IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering 124 (2016) 012135 doi:10.1088/1757-899X/124/1/012135.
- Pradhan, M. K., and C. K. Biswas. "Multi-response optimisation of EDM of AISI D2 tool steel using response surface methodology." International Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials 9, no. 1-2 (2011): 66-85.
- P. Senthil, S. Vinodh and A. K. Singh, Parametric optimisation of EDM on Al-Cu/TiB2 in-situ metal matrix composites using TOPSIS method. Int. J. Machining and Machinability of Materials, Vol. 16, No. 1, (2014).
- A. Majumder, P. K. Das, A. Majumder and M. Debnath “An approach to optimize the EDM process parameters using desirability-based multi-objective PSO” Production & Manufacturing Research, 2:1, 228-240 (2014)
- M. Hourmand, S. Farahany, Ahmed A. D. Sarhan, and M. Y. Noordin, Investigating the electrical discharge machining (EDM) parameter effects on Al-Mg2Si metal matrix composite (MMC) for high material removal rate (MRR) and less EWR–RSM approach. Int J Adv Manuf Technol (2015) 77:831–838.
- Y. Afkham, R. A. Khosroshahi, S Rahimpour, C. Aavani, D. Brabazon and R. T. Mousavian, Enhanced mechanical properties of in situ aluminum matrix composites reinforced by alumina nanoparticles. Arch Civil Mech Eng (2018) 215–26
- S. Mohanty, A. Mishra, B. K. Nanda, and B. C. Routara. "Multi-objective parametric optimization of nano powder mixed electrical discharge machining of AlSiCp using response surface methodology and particle swarm optimization." Alexandria Engineering Journal 57, no. 2 (2018): 609-619.
- N. Singh, B.C. Routara and D. Das, Study of machining characteristics of Inconel 601in EDM using RSM, Materials Today: Proceedings 5 (2018) 3438–3449
- C. Prakash, S. Singh, M. Singh, P. Antil, A. A. A. Aliyu, A. M. Abdul-Rani, and S. S. Sidhu. "Multi-objective optimization of MWCNT mixed electric discharge machining of Al–30SiC p MMC using particle swarm optimization." In Futuristic Composites, pp. 145-164. Springer, Singapore, 2018.
- M. R. Phate and S. B. Toney, Modeling and prediction of WEDM performance parameters for Al/SiCp MMC using dimensional analysis and artificial neural network. Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal 22 (2019) 468–476. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jestch.2018.12.002
- P. Garg, A. Jamwal, D. Kumara, K. K. Sadasivunic, C. M. Hussaind, and P. Guptae, Advance research progresses in aluminum matrix composites: manufacturing & applications. J mater res technol (2019) 4924–4939.
- K. Paswan, A. Pramanik, S. Chattopadhyay and A. K. Basak, A novel approach towards sustainable electrical discharge machining of metal matrix composites (MMCs). The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (2020) 1477-1486.
- A. M. Moghaddam, and F. Kolahan, "Modeling and optimization of the electrical discharge machining process based on a combined artificial neural network and particle swarm optimization algorithm." Scientia Iranica 27, no. 3 (2020): 1206-1217.
- P. Mandal, and S. C. Mondal. "Multi-objective optimization of Cu-MWCNT composite electrode in electro-discharge machining using MOPSO-TOPSIS." Measurement 169 (2021): 108347.
- Modrak, V.; Pandian, R.S.; Kumar, S.S. Parametric Study of Wire-EDM Process in Al-Mg-MoS2 Composite Using NSGA-II and MOPSO Algorithms. Processes, 9, 469. https://doi.org/10.3390/pr9030469 (2021)
- Quarto, M.; D’Urso, G.; Giardini, C.; Maccarini, G.; Carminati, M. A Comparison between Finite Element Model (FEM) Simulation and an Integrated Artificial Neural Network (ANN)-Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) Approach to Forecast Performances of Micro Electro Discharge Machining (Micro-EDM) Drilling. Micromachines 2021, 12, 667. https://doi.org/10.3390/mi12060667
- Y. K. Mishra, S. Mishra, S.C. Jayswal, “Modelling and optimization of Laser drilling on CFRP composite: an integrated approach using RSM based PSO” Journal of Advanced Engineering Research ISSN: 2393-8447 Volume 8, Issue 1, 2021, pp.85-92