Author : M.Sampath Kumar 1
Date of Publication :1st August 2022
Abstract: Geo textiles are a possible great alternative before vegetation establishes itself, and provides immediate control on soil erosion on different types of slopes. In this study, different geo textiles have been used for better erosion control over different soils. Different structurally modified geomeshes are tested for runoff erosion control, culmination discharge over different types of soils at different slope angles and at different rainfall intensities. Though these geo textile products are in use since a long time, the selection of product is mostly based on the manufacturer’s recommendations. Hence, there is a great necessity to understand the mechanics involved and to develop a comprehensive design methodology. In line with this, in the present study a review was done about the research takes place so far across the world.
- K .R. Lekha , 2003.Fileld Instrumentation and monitoring of soil erosion in coir geotextile stabilized slopes – A case study. Geotextiles and geomembranes, 399-413.
- S. Vishnudas, H. H. G. Savenije, P. Van der Zaag, K. R. Anil, and K. Balan , 2006. The protective and attractive covering of a vegetated embankment using coir geotextiles. Hydrology and earth system Sciences, 565-574.
- R.J.Rickson, 2006. Controlling sediment at source: an evaluation of erosion control geotextiles. Earth Surf. Process. Landforms 31, 550–560.
- Han Luo , Tingning Zhao , Mei Dong, Jun Gao , Xianfeng Peng , Yu Guo, Zhiming Wang , Chao Liang , 2013. Field studies on the effects of three geotextiles on runoff and erosion of road slope in Beijing, China. Catena 109 , 150-156.
- Jesús Álvarez-Mozos , Eguzki Abad , Rafael Giménez, Miguel A. Campo , Mikel Goñi, Maider Arive ,Javier Casalí , Javier Díez , Ignacio Diego ,2014. Evaluation of erosion control geotextiles on steep slopes. Part 1: Effects on runoff and soil loss. Catena 118, 168-178.
- Balan Krishnan and Praseeja Ayyappan Vasantha, 2014. Numerical Modeling for the Selection of Coir Geotextile for Erosion Control Application Based on the Universal Soil-Loss Equation. American society of Civil Engineers.
- S. Suresh Kumar & Vinay Kumar Midha , 2017. Influence of slope angle and rainfall intensity on the runoff erosion control performance of woven geomesh. Journal of natural fibers.
- M.V.S.Sreedhar , C.Prashanth Kumar and Parimi Thrimuti Raju , 2017. Laboratory Evaluation of Erosion Control Using Coir Geoproducts. Indian Geotechnical Conference 2017 GeoNEst.
- Franz Erickson Paz, Paola Flor-Paz , Nuna Almanzor and Maria Cecilia M. Marcos , 2018.
- Performance evaluation of soil erosion control geotextile materials on road cut slope.
- Advances in Civil, Environmental, & Materials Research (ACEM18) Songdo Convensia, Incheon, Korea, August 27 - 31, 2018.
- Muhammad Talha Zeshan , Muhammad Raza Ul Mustafa and Khamaruzaman Wan Yusof , 2021. Impact of Coir Geotextiles to Reduce Soil Erosion and Surface Runoff.Researchgate.
- Sushma Verma, Vinay Kumar Midha & Awadesh Kumar Choudhary , 2021. Runoff erosion control performance of structurally modified coir geomeshes on different soil type and slope angle. Journal of Natural fibers
- Akila R.,and T.E. Abraham, 2007. Coir fiber –process and opportunities : Part 1: Journal of natural fibers 3 : 29-41.
- Bhattacharyya, R., M. A. Fullen, C. A. Booth, T. Smets, J. Poesen, and A. Black. 2011. Use of palm-mat geotextiles for soil conservation: I. effects on soil properties. Catena 84 (3):99–107.
- Brischke, C., and L. W. Friedrich. 2019. Impact of water holding capacity and moisture content of soil substrates on the moisture content of wood in terrestrial microcosms. Forests 10 (485):1–16.
- Giroud, J. P., N. D. Williams, T. Pelte, and J. F. Beech. 1995. Stability of geosynthetic- soil layered systems on slopes.Geosynthetic International 2 (6):1115–48.
- Kumar, S. S., and V. K. Midha. 2017. Influence of slope angle and rainfall intensity on the runoff erosion control performance of woven geomesh. Journal of Natural Fibers 16 (2):153–62.
- ASTM D7101, “Standard Index Test Method for Determination of Unvegetated Rolled Erosion Control Product (RECP). Ability to Protect Soil from Rain Splash and Associated Runoff Under Bench-Scale Conditions”, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA
- Boker, J., Zanzinger.H, Bastian, M., Nemeth, E. and Eppel, J. (2012), “Surface erosion control investigations for a test field on a steep embankment of German Autobahn A3”, EuroGeo 5, Proceedings of 5th European Geosynthetics congress, vol 5, Erosion control and coastal works, Valencia, Spain, pp 77-83.