Author : Rakesh Prasad 1
Date of Publication :10th May 2022
Abstract: To get an effective makeover of available low-grade iron ore, the selection of additive with fixed composition is the key variable. Pellets thermal stability and effective reduction depend upon mineralogy, physio chemical characteristics which are governed by the basicity of pellets up to a certain extent. Basicity varies with gangue content present in the iron ore. Therefore to ascertain physio chemical characteristics, a deeper insight analysis is done, microstructure phase study within silico-ferrite of calcium and aluminium (SFCA) system was done. Phase relation of the intermediate phase is calcium ferrite formation which reacts further to form SFCA and SFCA-I. The Physio-chemical and physical properties especially strength is supported by SFCA-I. The grade of ore is also being the base of SFCA or SFCA-I. The ternary phase study gives an overview of the phase relation and thermal and compositional conditions for the formation of SFC phases. In the present study, SFCA/SFCA-I formation during firing at 12500C with pellets of varying basicity, 0.2-1.2 has been observed. The influence of the formation of SFCA/SFCA-I over physical properties is also considered and 0.6 basicity exhibits good pellet quality
- Kurt Meyer, “The pelletizing Iron Ore” Springer Verlag Berlin 1980
- Prasad, P. S. R. et al. (2006), In situ FTIR study on the dehydration of natural goethite„, Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 27(4), pp. 503–511. doi: 10.1016/j.jseaes. 2005. 05.005
- M. I. Pownceby and J. M. F. Clout, “Importance of fine ore chemical composition and high temperature phase relations: applications to iron ore sintering and pelletising” (2003)
- G. McCann, V. Strezov and J.A. Lucas ,T. Evans and L. Strezov , “Iron Ore Characterisation during High Temperature Thermal Processing” (2004)
- McCann, G. et al. (2010) , Iron Ore Characterisation during High Temperature Thermal Processing„, Developments in Chemical Engineering and Mineral Processing, 12(3–4), pp. 369–382. doi: 10.1002/apj.5500120412.
- Li, G. et al. (2012), Recrystallization of Fe2O3 During the Induration of Iron Ore Oxidation Pellets„, Recrystallization, (1). doi: 10.5772/32738.
- Li, G. H. et al. (2009a), Induration mechanisms of oxidised pellets prepared from mixed magnetite-haematite concentrates„, Ironmaking and Steelmaking, 36(5), pp. 393– 396. doi: 10.1179/174328109X410325.
- Forsmo, S. P. E. et al. (2008) Mechanisms in oxidation and sintering of magnetite iron ore green pellets„, Powder Technology, 183(2), pp. 247–259. doi: 10.1016/j.powtec. 2007.07.032.
- Prakongkep, N. et al. (2010) ,Geoderma SEM image analysis for characterization of sand grains in Thai paddy soils„, Geoderma. Elsevier B.V., 156(1–2), pp. 20–31. doi: 10.1016/j.geoderma.2010.01.003.
- Anastasia Koryttseva, Nathan A. S. Webster ,Mark I. Pownceby ,Alexandra Navrotsky “Silico-ferrite of calcium and aluminum (SFCA) and SFCA-I phases form in iron ore sintering operations” (2017)
- Stuart Nicol, Jiang Chen, Mark Ian Pownceby And Nathan A. S. Webster , “A Review of the Chemistry, Structure and Formation Conditions of Silico-Ferrite of Calcium and Aluminum („SFCA‟) Phases” (2018)
- A.K. Mandal, O.P. Sinha, “Characterization of Fluxed Iron Ore Pellets as Compared to Feed Material for Blast Furnace”(2015)  Ooi, T. C. et al. (2014) Sintering performance of magnetite-hematite-goethite and hematite-goethite iron ore blends and microstructure of products of sintering„, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review, 35(4), pp. 266– 281. doi: 10.1080/08827508.2013.793681.
- Fei Liao and Xing-Min Guo , “The Effects of Al2O3 and SiO2 on the Formation Process of Silico-Ferrite of Calcium and Aluminum (SFCA) by Solid-State Reactions”(2019)
- Li, G. et al. (2012), Recrystallization of Fe2O3 During the Induration of Iron Ore Oxidation Pellets„, Recrystallization, (1). doi: 10.5772/32738. Li, G. H. et al. (2009a) Induration mechanisms of oxidised pellets prepared from mixed magnetite-haematite concentrates„, Ironmaking and Steelmaking, 36(5), pp. 393–396. doi: 10.1179/174328109X4 10325
- Marcos Meyer M., L. E. Lagoeiro, L. M. Graça & C. J. Silva, “Phase and Microstructural Characterization of Iron Ore Pellet and Their Relation with Cold Crushing Strength Test” (2016)