Author : Rajan Singh 1
Date of Publication :8th July 2022
Abstract: 'syntactic' means 'putting together'. A composite material synthesized by putting a metal or polymer or a ceramic matrix with hollow spheres (microballoons). This composite material known as syntactic foam. It is used in the field where weight is a constrain as well as it is used for the purpose of energy absorption and for the purpose of heat resistant. Submarines, aircrafts where weight is constrained but also energy absorption capability of the material is a necessity factor. Microballoons have a drawback of low mechanical properties, so to overcame this limitation microballoons are filled with filler materials. This project focuses on the study of different syntactic foam and todetermine their behaviour and characteristics. Also find the different mechanical properties (stress,strain,fracture point, yield).
- Deepika Chauhan,Prasun K Roy, Silicone Microsphere filled Syntactic Foam, in structure of syntactic foam, DTU, 2016
- Bingbing Zhang, zhiqiang Fan, Shuangqi Hu, Zhaowu Shen and Honghao Ma, Mechanical response of the fly ash cenosphere/polyurethane syntactic foams fabricated through infiltration process, 2019
- Bunn, P. and J.T. Mottram, Manufacture and Compression Properties of Syntactic Foams. Composites, 1993.
- Mae, H., M. Omiya, and K. Kishimoto, Effects of strain rate and density on tensile behavior of polypropylene syntactic foam with polymer microballoons. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 2008
- Nikhil, G., et al., Applications of Polymer Matrix Syntactic Foams. JOM, 2014.