Author : Pradeep Jain 1
Date of Publication :21st July 2022
Abstract: Additive manufacturing (AM) is the prominent technology that is used to manufacture the 3D components of complex geometry and customized shapes. Owing to the requirement of the complex shape structure in various industries including aerospace, medical, automobile etc., the demand of AM has been increasing every year in manufacturing field. This paper explores the development, application and basic knowledge of AM, and current challenges and future trends. The basic properties of AM and its evolution in manufacturing industry helps in design flexibility, processing, multi-material selection etc. This paper provides the basic knowledge and paving the way to overcome the current barriers and motivate to do research on future trends.
- R. Noorani, Rapid Prototyping—Principles and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2006
- S. Ashley, ―Rapid prototyping systems,‖ Mechanical Engineering, vol. 113, no. 4, p. 34, 1991.
- A. Kochan, ―Rapid growth for rapid prototyping,‖ Assembly Automation, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 215–217, 1997.
- J. Flowers and M. Moniz, ―Rapid prototyping in technology education,‖ Technology Teacher, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 7, 2002
- C. K. Chua, S. M. Chou, S. C. Lin, K. H. Eu, and K. F. Lew, ―Rapid prototyping assisted surgery planning,‖ International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 624–630, 1998.
- T. Wohlers, ―Additive Manufacturing Advances,‖ Manufacturing Engineering, vol. 148, no. 4, pp. 55–56, 2012.  T. Wohlers, Wohlers Report 2011, Wholers Associates, 2011.
- T. Grimm, User’s Guide to Rapid Prototyping, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2004.
- T. Bhardwaj, P. Jain, D. Singh, ―Experimental study on dimensional accuracy of freeform fabricated thermoplastic polyurethane,‖ IOP Conference Series: Material Science and Engineering, vol. 1136, pp. 012060, 2020.
- T. Bhardwaj, M. Shukla, ―Effect of Scan Direction on Tensile properties and Fractography of Laser Additive Manufactured Maraging Steel,‖ Material Today: Proceedings, vol. 18, pp. 3842-3848, 2019.
- T. Bhardwaj, M. Shukla, C.P. Paul, K.S. Bindra, ―Direct energy deposition-laser additive manufacturing of titanium-molybdenum alloy: Parametric studies, microstructure and mechanical properties,‖ Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 787, pp. 1238-1248, 2019.