Author : Saket Rusia 1
Date of Publication :15th July 2022
Abstract: The continuous increase of emissions of greenhouse gas and mankind’s reliance on exploiting fossil energy accumulation generated an urge to enhance the efficiency of buildings. The main aim of the power industry is to develop a building which consumes least possible energy and to produce low level gas. Consequently, green and energy proficient buildings such as nearly zero energy building (nZEB) has become a global trend. There are various design performance inputs and the prediction by which one can optimize the energy consumption to attain zero energy building. This paper mainly focuses on the optimization of the energy consumption of nZEB. This concept of nZEB has been implemented in various developed countries at a mass level, but India has not taken any significant measures towards achieving the zero-energy concept. This paper investigates significant measures that are currently practising in different countries to achieve a goal of zero energy building and then provide a suggestive measure that should be implemented in India.
- World Green Building Council (2016). Towards zero-emission efficient and resilient buildings: Global Status Report 2016. https://www.worldgbc.org/sites/default/files/ GABC_Global_Status_Report_V09_november_FINAL.pdf (accessed 15 February 2021).
- European Union. Directive 2010/31/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 May 2010 on the energy performance of buildings (Recast). Official Journal of the European Union; 18 June 2010.
- Mihai, M.; Tanasiev, V.; Dinca, C.; Badea, A.; Vidu, R. Passive house analysis in terms of energy performance. Energy Build. 2017.
- Source: International Environmental Agency (IEA).  CRAVEzero (2020). D6. 4: Co–Benefits of nZEBs. https://www.cravezero.eu/wp-content/ uploads/2020/05/CRAVEzero_D64_CoBenefits.pdf (accessed 15 February 2021).
- Sartori, I., Napolitano, A., and Voss, K. (2012). Net zero energy buildings: a consistent definition framework. Energy and Buildings 48: 220–232.
- Guohui Fenga, Dandan Chia , Xiaolong Xua , Baoyue Doua ,Yixin Suna , and Yao Fu, Study on the Influence of Window-wall Ratio on the Energy Consumption of Nearly Zero Energy Buildings, 10th International Symposium on Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning, ISHVAC2017, 19- 22 October 2017, Jinan, China.
- Cheng Zhang and Lijing Ong, Optimization of window-wall-ratio using BIM-based energy simulation, 22nd International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA) 2017, 397-406
- A. Naveen Chakkaravarthy, M. S. P. Subathra, P. Jerin Pradeep, and Nallapaneni Manoj Kumar, Solar Irradiance forecasting and energy optimization for achieving nearly net zero energy building, Journal of renewable and sustainable energy 10, 035103 (2018).
- Geovanni Murano, Elisa Primo, Vincenzo Corrado, The effect of glazing on nZEB performance, 73rd Conference of the Italian Thermal Machines Engineering Association (ATI 2018), 12–14 September 2018, Pisa, Italy.
- Sadaf Alam, Risto Lahdelma, Towards Net Zero Energy Buildings: building performance optimization, simulation and analysis, 2019 IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 609 072061.
- M. A. Shameri, M. A. Alghoul, O. Elayeb, M. F. M. Zain, M. S. Alrubaih, H. Amir, and K. Sopian, “Daylighting characteristics of existing double-skin façade office buildings,” Energy Build., vol. 59, pp. 279–286, 2013.
- Li, J.; Zheng, B.; Bedra,K.B.; Li, Z.; Chen, X. Evaluating the Effect of Window-to-Wall Ratios on Cooling-Energy Demand on a Typical Summer Day. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2021, 18, 8411
- Xiaolong Xu, Guohui Feng, Dandan Chi, Ming Liu and Baoyue Dou, Optimization of Performance Parameter Design and Energy Use Prediction for Nearly Zero Energy Buildings
- Energyplus Documentation. Available online
- OpenStudio Documentation. Available online
- Dimitrios Papagiannis, Nikolaos Jabbour, Evangelos Tsioumas, Markos Koseoglou, and Christos Mademlis, Estimation of the Consumed Electric Energy by the Unschedulable Loads in a nearly zero energy building (2020) 8th International Conference on Smart Grid and Clean Technologies.
- M. Mahdavi Adeli, S. Farahat , F. Sarhaddi, Increasing thermal comfort of a net-zero energy building inhabitant by optimization of energy consumption, International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology https://doi.org/ 10.1007/s13762-019-02603-0.