Author : S. Giri 1
Date of Publication :8th August 2022
Abstract: Metal matrix composites are formed by combination of two or more materials having dissimilar characteristics. In the present investigation, Aluminium (7075) is taken as base matrix metal, Tungsten Carbide particulate and Molybdenum Disulphide (MoS2) as reinforcements. The metal matrix composites are fabricated by stir-casting process. The Tungsten Carbide particulate was added in proportions of 1%, 1.5% and 2% and Molybdenum Disulphide was added in constant proportion of 1%, 1.5% and 2% on mass fraction basis to the molten metal. The different combination sets of composites were prepared. The different combination sets of composites were prepared. Mechanical properties like hardness and tensile strength were studied for both reinforced and unreinforced Al7075 samples. From the results, it was found that the hardness and tensile strength of the prepared metal matrix composites increases with increasing weight percentage of Tungsten Carbide
- Patil-Tekale, R.A., Gadekar, A., Gadhade, Y., Parakh, L., Balaji, R. and Selokar, A., 2021. Recent Investigation on Ultrasonic Machining of Aluminum Metal Matrix Composite. In Intelligent Manufacturing and Energy Sustainability (pp. 619-636). Springer, Singapore.
- Anish, A. and Kumar, M.A., 2018, August. Characterization of aluminium matrix reinforced with tungsten carbide and molybdenum disulphide hybrid composite. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (Vol. 402, No. 1, p. 012006). IOP Publishing.
- Pitchayyapillai, G., Seenikannan, P., Raja, K. and Chandrasekaran, K., 2016. Al6061 hybrid metal matrix composite reinforced with alumina and molybdenum disulphide. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2016.
- Balaji, R., Nadarajan, M., Selokar, A., Kumar, S.S. and Sivakumar, S., 2019. Modelling and analysis of disk brake under tribological behaviour of Al-Al2O3 ceramic matrix composites/Kevlar® 119 composite/C/Sic-carbon matrix composite/Cr-Ni-Mo-V steel. Materials Today: Proceedings, 18, pp.3415-3427.
- Shafee, S.M., Gnanasekaran, K., Solomon, G.R. and Balaji, R., 2020. Preparation and analysis of novel paraffin based stable nano fluid dispersed with carbon nano tubes as effective phase change material for free cooling applications. Materials Today: Proceedings, 33, pp.4526-4532.
- Balaji, R., Sivakumar, S., Nadarajan, M. and Selokar, A., 2019. A recent investigations: effect of surface grinding on CFRP using rotary ultrasonic machining. Materials Today: Proceedings, 18, pp.5209-5218.
- Maji, P., Ghosh, S.K., Nath, R.K., Paul, P. and Meitei, R.K.B., 2022. Characterization of novel molybdenum disulfide and cerium dioxide reinforced hybrid aluminum matrix composites fabricated by friction stir processing. Materialwissenschaft und Werkstofftechnik, 53(6), pp.705 -722.
- Hemadri, K., Daniel, S.A.A. and Parthiban, A., 2022. Investigation on the response parameters in electric discharge machining of developed aluminium metal matrix composites. Materials Today: Proceedings.
- Islam, A., Pandey, K.K., Singh, P., Kumar, R., Dommeti, S.G. and Keshri, A.K., 2022. Microstructural, mechanical and tribological properties of carbon nanotubes reinforced plasma sprayed molybdenum disulphide composite coatings. Ceramics International.
- Raja, T., Prabhakaran, R., Kumar, D.P. and Sathish, D., 2022. Mechanical and tribological characteristics of AL7075/MWCNT, B4C & MoS2 hybrid metal matrix composites. Materials Today: Proceedings, 50, pp.911-916.
- Abitha, H., Kavitha, V., Gomathi, B. and Ramachandran, B., 2020. A recent investigation on shape memory alloys and polymers based materials on bio artificial implants-hip and knee joint. Materials Today: Proceedings, 33, pp.4458-4466.
- almaan, N.U., Smart, D.R. and Raja, S.A., 2021. Experimentation on Mechanical properties of Al 7075 reinforced with Hafnium carbide, Silicon nitride, and Molybdenum Disulfide hybrid composites. NVEO-NATURAL VOLATILES & ESSENTIAL OILS Journal| NVEO, pp.8290-8303.
- Raj, P., Deepanraj, B., Senthilkumar, N. and Tamizharasan, T., 2022, May. A study on effect of primary and secondary reinforcem/ents in hybrid metal matrix composite. In AIP Conference Proceedings (Vol. 2393, No. 1, p. 020222). AIP Publishing LLC
- Tirumani Srilakshmi, B.O. and Gouse, S.M., 2022. Experimental Investigation of Tribological Characteristics of Aluminum-7 Series Alloy (Al7075) Reinforced with Tungsten Carbide (WC).
- Umanath, K., Palanikumar, K., Sankaradass, V. and Uma, K., 2021. Optimization of wear properties on AA7075/Sic/Mos2 hybrid metal matrix composite by response surface methodology. Materials Today: Proceedings, 46, pp.4019-4024
- Manda, C.S., Babu, B.S. and Ramaniah, N., 2021. Effect of heat treatment on mechanical properties of aluminium metal matrix composite (AA6061/MoS2). Advances in Materials and Processing Technologies, pp.1-18.
- Vaishnav, V., Kumar, R.P. and Venkatesh, C., 2022. Influence of nano MoS2 particle on the mechanical and tribological properties of Al-TiB2-Gr hybrid composite. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 36(2), pp.857-867.