Author : H. Marouf 1
Date of Publication :13th September 2022
Abstract: The objective of this research is to investigate whether or not a recycled material such as brick waste (BW) can be used in the concrete mixture as a self-compacting mortar. The possibility of substituting the sand by the brick waste is examined in depth and the brick waste was used as fine aggregate in different proportions varying from 5% to 25% by weight. A series of experimental work was conducted in order to determine the impact of the brick waste on the workability and the compressive strength of the self-compacting mortar. The workability of the concrete was determined by the marsh-cone test as well as by the rheometer test (for fresh mortar). Further the mechanical characteristics of selfcompacting mortar, the compressive strength and tensile strength (for hardened mortar) in bending were investigated and all tests were performed for 7, 28 and 90 days. The results show that brick waste increased the cohesion of the mortars due to its viscosity property. It was observed that the mortar prepared with BW has a low flowability compared to regular mortar. It was noticed that replacement of sand by the waste brick has produced a slight reduction in compressive strength.
- Alessandra Mobili, Chiara Giosuè, Valeria Corinaldesi and Francesca Tittarelli1 ‘Bricks and Concrete Wastes as Coarse and Fine Aggregates in Sustainable Mortars’ Advances in Materials Science and Engineering ( 2018)
- Rudnicki, T.Functional MethodofDesigningSelf-Compacting Concrete. Materials 2021, 14, 267. https://doi.org/10.3390/ ma14020267
- Okamura, H.; Ouchi, M. Self-compacting concrete. Development, present use and future. In Proceedings of the First International RILEM Symposium on Self-Compacting Concrete, Stockholm, Sweden, 13–14 September 1999; RILEM Publications, SARL: Cachan, France, 1999; pp. 3–13
- Okamura, H.; Ozawa, K. Mix Design for Self-Compacting Concrete. Concr. Libr. JSCE 1995, 25, 107–120.
- Okamura, H.; Ozawa, K. Self-Compactable High Performance Concrete in Japan. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on High Performance Concrete, Bangkok, Thailand, 21–22 November 1994.
- Bartos, P.J.M.; Grauers, M. Self-compacting concrete. Concrete 1999, 33, 4.
- Serdan, T.; de Larrard, F. Mix design of self-compacting concrete. In Production Methods and Workability of Concrete; E & FN Spon: London, UK, 1996; pp. 439–450.
- Şahmaran, M., Christianto, H.A. and Yaman, İ.Ö. The effect of chemical admixtures and mineral additives on the properties of self-compacting mortars. Cement & Concrete Composites, 2006, 28 (5), 432–440, doi: 10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2005.12.003. Karatas, M., Turk, K., Acikgenc, M., & Ulucan, Z. C. Effect of elazig region waste brick powder on strength and viscosity properties of self compacting mortar. In Proceedings of the 9th International Congress on Advances in Civil Engineering. 2010.
- Roussel N, A theorical frame to study stability of fresh concrete. Materials and structures. 2006, 39 (1), 75-83, doi.org/10.1617/s11527-005-9036-1.
- M Si-Ahmed, S Kenai –‘ Behavior of Self-compacting Mortars Based on Waste Brick Powder’ Current Materials Science: Formerly …, 2020 –
- Sonebi, M., Lachemi, M., Hossain, KMA. Optimisation of Rheological Parameters and Mechanical Properties of Superplasticised Cement Grouts Containing Metakaolin and Viscosity Modifying Admixture. Construction and Building Materials Journal, 2013, (38), 126-138, doi: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.07.102.
- Svermova, L., Sonebi, M., Bartos, P.J.M. Influence of Mix Proportions on Rheology of Cement Grouts Containing Limestone Powder. Cement, Concrete and Composites. 2003, 25 (7), 737-749, doi: 10.1016/S0958-9465(02)00115-4.
- Phan, TP., Chaouche, M., and Moranville, M, Influence of organic admixtures on the rheological behaviour of cement pastes. Cement & Concrete Research. 2006, 36 (10), 1807- 1813, doi: 10.1016/j.cemconres.2006.05.028.
- Roussel, N., Lemaître, A., Flatt, R. J., & Coussot, P. Steady state flow of cement suspensions: A micromechanical state of the art. Cement and Concrete Research. 2010, 40 (1), 77-84, doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2009.08.026.
- Sonebi, M. Optimization of Cement Grouts Containing Silica Fume and Viscosity Modifying Admixture. ASCE Materials Journal in Civil Engineering, 2010, 22(4), 332-342, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000026.
- SHI, Caijun, WU, Zemei, LV, KuiXi. A review on mixture design methods for self-compacting concrete. Construction and Building Materials, 2015, (84), 387-398, doi: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.03.079.
- Tattersall, G. H., & Baker, P. H. An investigation on the effect of vibration on the workability of fresh concrete using a vertical pipe apparatus. Magazine of Concrete Research,1989, 41 (146), 3-9.
- Banfill P.F.G., Kitching, D.R.Use of a controlled stress rheometer to study the yield value of oilwell cement slurries. The rheology of fresh cement and concrete, Spon, 1991, 125−136.
- M. Rahman. In-line rheology of cement grouts - Feasibility study of an ultrasound based non-invasive method. Licentiate Thesis, KTH Royal Institute of Technology. Stockholm, Sweden, 2013. pp. 2–15.
- F. Rosquoët, A. Alexis, A. Khelidj, A. Phelipot. Experimental study of cement grout. Cement and Concrete Research, 2003, 33 (5), 713–722, doi: 10.1016/S0008-8846(02)01036-0.
- F. Mahaut, S. Mokéddem, X. Chateau, N. Roussel, G. Ovarlez. Effect of coarse particle volume fraction on the yield stress and thixotropy of cementitious materials. Cement and Concrete Research. 2008, 38 (11), 1276–1285, doi:10.1016/j.cemconres.2008.06.001.
- M. Lachemi, K. M. A. Hossain, V. Lambrosa, P. C. Nkinamubanzib, N, Bouzoubaa, Performance of new viscosity modifying admixtures in enhancing the rheological properties of cement paste, Cement and Concrete Research, 2004, 34 (2), 185 – 193, doi:10.1016/S0008-8846(03)00233-3.
- F. Curcio, B. A. DeAngelis. Dilatant behavior of superplasticized cement pastes containing metakaolin. Cement and Concrete Research, 1998, 28(5), 629–634.
- M. Cyr, C. Legrand, M. Mouret. Study of the shear thickening effect of superplasticizers on the rheological behaviour of cement pastes containing or not mineral additives. Cement and Concrete Research, 2000, 30(9), 1477–1483, doi: 10.1016/S00088846(00)00330-6.
- H. A. Barnes. Shear-thickening Dilatancy in suspensions of non aggregating solid particles dispersed in Newtonian liquids. Journal of Rheology, 1989, 33(2), 329-366.
- Messaoudi, F., Sonebi, M., & Bouras, R. Investigation of Rheological Behaviour of Self-Compacting Marbled Paste. Paper presented at Proceedings of 6th North American Conference on the Design and Use of SCC Self-Consolidating Concrete (SCC) on the Design and Use of SCC SelfConsolidating Concrete and 8th RILEM International Symposium on Self-Compacting Concrete (SCC), 2016, 1–9.
- AFNOR organization standards. Cement test methods - Part 1: determination of mechanical strengths. NF EN 196-1; 2006.
- Farih Messaoudi, Hafida Marouf , Mohammed Sonebi, Abdelaziz Semcha “The rheological properties of modified selfcompacting cementitious paste” Journal of Material and Engineering Structure 7 (2020) 215–225
- GHRIEB. A and YACINE. A . Use of crushed clay brick waste as dune sand granular corrector in mortar manufacturing. Journal of Materials and Engineering Structures «JMES». 2019, 6(3), 397-408.
- Dongyeop Han, Jin Young Yoon & Jae Hong Kim “Control of Viscosity of Cementitious Materials Using Waste Limestone Powder” International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials volume 13, Article number: 28 (2019)
- B.A. Silva, A.P. Ferreira Pinto, A. Gomes, A. Candeias “ Impact of a viscosity-modifying admixture on the properties of lime mortars” Journal of Building Engineering. (2019)  Deng, X., Klein, B., Tong, L., & de Wit, B. Experimental study on the rheological behavior of ultra-fine cemented backfill. Construction and Building Materials, 2018, (158), 985-994, doi: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.05.085.
- Bouras, R, Chafiaa SHM, and Mohammed S. Adhesion and rheology of joints fresh mortars. Journal of Materials and Engineering Structures «JMES», 2019, 6(2) 157-165
- J. Plank, C.H. Hirsch. Superplasticiser Adsorption on Synthetic Ettringite. In: proceedings of 7th CANMET /ACI Conference on Superplasticizers in Concrete. Berlin, Germany, 2003, (217), 283-298.
- Alharbi, F.; Almoshaogeh, M.; Shafiquzzaman, M..; Haider, H.; Rafiquzzaman, M..; lragi, A.; ElKholy, S.; Bayoumi, E.A.; ELGhoul, Y. “Development of Rice Bran Mixed Porous Clay Bricks for Permeable Pavements: A Sustainable LID Technique for Arid Regions. Sustainability 2021, 13, 1443.
- O. Taleb, F. Ghomari, S.M.A. Boukli Hacene, E-H. Kadri, H. Soualhi. Formulation and rheology of eco-self compacting concrete (Eco-SCC). Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, 2017, 31(3), 272 – 296.