Author : Iman M. Naemah 1
Date of Publication :14th September 2022
Abstract: The influence of cutting parameters on machining operations is essential because they influence the cutting tool life and the quality of the machined parts' surface finish. The influence of, depth of cut, cutting speed, and feed rate on cutting force during steel 204machining, aluminum 514, and cast iron alloy for two types of tool, coated carbide and Hss cutting tools with a rake angle of 10 0 was investigated in this study. Cutting parameters included spindle speeds of 180, 260, and 370 (rev/min) and feed rates of 0.2, 0.3, and 0.4 (mm/rev) with.0.1, 0.2, and 0.3mm depths of cut in 54 distinct trials. and each experiment was repeated three times in accordance, with studying the response variation by using the Taguchi robust design which is an important tool for design, this work used three factors at three levels, and an L9 Orthogonal array was used for this signal–to–noise (S/N) ratio, resulting in minimization of quality characteristic variations. There is a positive correlation between the cutting force and increasing cut depth, then feed rate. Yet, this correlation is negative with cutting speed. Also, the effect of the HSS tool is greater on the cutting force of the carbide tool. This work can be suitable to determine the optimum cutting parameters for better machinability of the selected materials.
- Stru, M. N. O., Uporabo, E. Z., & Podlagi, T. M. N. G. (2011). Multi-objective optimization of the cutting forces in turning operations using the grey-based Taguchi method. Materiali in tehnologije, 45(2), 105-110.
- Khan, M. A., Kittur, J. K., & Kohir, V. D. (2015). Study and Analysis of Effect of Cutting Parameters on Cutting Forces and Surface Roughness. Advanced Engineering and Applied Sciences,: An International Journal, 5(3), 63-73.
- Jha, S. K. (2016). EXPERIMENTAL ANALYSIS OF CNC TURNING OF NYLON USINGTAGUCHI METHOD. International Journal of Industrial Engineering & Production Research, 27(2), 87-98..
- Satyanarayana Kosaraju, V. G. A., & Popuri, B. B. (2012). Taguchi analysis on cutting forces and temperature in turning titanium Ti-6Al-4V. International Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (IJMIE), ISSN, (2231-6477)..
- Bhanodaya Reddy, G., Venumurali, J., Sankara, Y., & Sivaramudu, G. (2017). Parametric optimization of lathe turning for Al7075 alloy using Taguchi: An experimental study. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, 14(3), 39-45.
- Singh, H., & Kumar, P. (2006). Optimizing feed force for turned parts through the Taguchi technique. Sadhana, 31(6), 671.
- Adesta, E. Y. T., Hamidon, R., Riza, M., Alrashidi, R. F. F. A., & Alazemi, A. F. F. S. (2018). Investigation of tool engagement and cutting performance in machining a pocket. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (Vol. 290, No. 1, p. 012066). IOP Publishing.
- Rachmat, H., Ibrahim, M. R., & Hasan, S. (2017). Prelimenary Investigation of Parametric Optimization on Turning Process Using UVAT Tool Holder Based on Taguchi Method. In MATEC Web of Conferences (Vol. 135, p. 00016). EDP Sciences
- Ranganath, M. S., & Vipin, R. S. (2013). Optimization of process parameters in turning operation of aluminium (6061) with cemented carbide inserts using taguchi method andANOVA. International Journal, 1(1), 13-21.
- Krishankant, J. T., Bector, M., & Kumar, R. (2012). Application of Taguchi method for optimizing turning process by the effects of machining parameters. International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology, 2(1), 263-274.
- METODO, O. S. O. S. T. (2014). Optimization of the turning parameters for the cutting forces in the Hastelloy X superalloy based on the Taguchi method. Materiali in tehnologije, 48(2), 249-254.
- Multi Objective Optimization of Cutting Parameters in Turning Operation to Reduce Surface Roughness and Cutting Forces
- Leksycki, K.; Feldshtein, E.; Lisowicz, J.; Chudy, R.; Mrugalski, R. Cutting forces and chip shaping when finish turning of 17-4 ph stainless steel under dry, wet, and mql machining conditions. Metals 2020, 10, 1187.
- Laghari, R.A.; Li, J.; Mia, M. Effects of turning parameters and parametric optimization of the cutting forces in machining sicp/al 45 wt% composite. Metals 2020, 10, 840.
- Aslan, A. Optimization and analysis of process parameters for flank wear, cutting forces and vibration in turning of aisi 5140: A comprehensive study. Measurement 2020, 163, 107959.
- Zerti, A.; Yallese, M.A.; Meddour, I.; Belhadi, S.; Haddad, A.; Mabrouki, T. Modeling and multi-objective optimization for minimizing surface roughness, cutting force, and power, and maximizing productivity for tempered stainless steel aisi 420 in turning operations. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol.2019, 102, 135–157.
- Kunto ˘glu, M.; Sa ˘glam, H. Investigation of progressive tool wear for determining of optimized machining parameters in turning. Measurement 2019, 140, 427–436
- Toulfatzis, A.I.; Pantazopoulos, G.A.; David, C.N.; Sagris, D.S.; Paipetis, A.S. Machinability of eco-friendly lead-free brass alloys: Cutting-force and surface-roughness optimization. Metals 2018, 8, 250.