Author : Kapil Dev 1
Date of Publication :1st October 2022
Abstract: The analysis, prevention, and removal of microplastic (MP) pollution in water is identified as one of the major problems that the world is currently facing. Microplastics can be directly released into water when microplastics are formed by the degradation of bigger plastics. Based on the existing studies, the characterization of microplastics in water is still one of the remaining challenges because they can be easily confused with organic or other types of matter. So, this study was conducted to determine the presence of microplastics in surface water and soil in the vicinity of Kuntbhyog lake, Rewalsar lake, and Suketi river. The samples from the lakes and river were collected in the month of March, 2021. The microplastics were isolated from the surface water and soil samples by using various processes. Microplastics were sorted visually according to their shapes and colours after being examined under microscope. The most abundant particles found in the study were flakes and fragments. This study provides an insight into the types of microplastics found in water bodies as mentioned above and, therefore, further actions needed to be taken to curb the distribution of microplastics in the ecosystem from threatening the food chain of creatures below water and also human health.
- Kumar, S., Rajesh, M., Rajesh, K.M., Suyani, N.K., Rasheeq Ahamed, A. and Pratiksha, K.S., 2020. Impact of Microplastics on Aquatic Organisms and Human Health: A Review. International Journal of Environmental Sciences & Natural Resources, 26(2), pp.59-64.
- Oladejo, A., 2017. Analysis of microplastics and their removal from water
- Ballent A, Corcoran PL, Madden O, Helm PA, Longstaffe FJ. Sources and sinks of microplastics in Canadian Lake Ontario nearshore, tributary and beach sediments. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 2016;110(1):383-395. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpolbul. 2016.06.037.
- Wu WM, Yang J, Criddle CS. Microplastics pollution and reduction strategies. Frontiers of Environmental Science & Engineering. 2017;11(1):6.DOI: 10.1007/s11783-017-0897- 7
- Saipolbahri, N., Bitlus, M.L.A., Ismail, N.A., Fauzi, N.M. and Subki, N.S., 2020, August. Determination of Microplastics in Surface Water and Sediment of Kelantan Bay. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (Vol. 549, No. 1, p. 012059). IOP Publishing.
- Picó, Y. and Barceló, D., 2019. Analysis and prevention of microplastics pollution in water: current perspectives and future directions. ACS omega, 4(4), pp.6709-6719.
- Westphalen, H. and Abdelrasoul, A., 2018. Challenges and treatment of microplastics in water. Water Challenges of an Urbanizing World, 5, pp.71-82.
- Danopoulos, E., Twiddy, M. and Rotchell, J.M., 2020. Microplastic contamination of drinking water: A systematic review. PloS one, 15(7), p.e0236838.
- Büks, F. and Kaupenjohann, M., 2020. Global concentrations of microplastic in soils, a review. SOIL Discussions, 2020, pp.1-26.
- World Health Organization, 2019. Microplastics in drinking-water.
- yare, P.U., Ouki, S.K. and Bond, T., 2020. Microplastics removal in wastewater treatment plants: a critical review. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 6(10), pp.2664-2675.
- Lusher, A.L., Munno, K., Hermabessiere, L. and Carr, S., 2020. Isolation and Extraction of Microplastics from Environmental Samples: An Evaluation of Practical Approaches and Recommendations for Further Harmonization. Applied Spectroscopy, 74(9), pp.1049-1065.
- Weis, J.S., 2020. Aquatic Microplastic Research—A Critique and Suggestions for the Future. Water, 12(5), p.1475.
- Boucher, J. and Friot, D., 2017. Primary microplastics in the oceans: a global evaluation of sources (pp. 227-229). Gland, Switzerland: Iucn.
- Cole M., Lindeque P., Halsband C., Galloway T.S. (2011). Microplastics as contaminants in the marine environment: A review. Marine Pollution Bulletin. [Online] [Viewed 2016 October 13]. Volume 62 (Issue 12), pp 2588-2597.
- de Souza Machado, A. A., Lau, C. W., Till, J., Kloas, W., Lehmann, A., Becker, R. and Rillig, M. C.: Impacts of microplastics on the soil biophysical environment, Environmental science & technology, 52(17), 9656-9665
- Lehmann, A., Fitschen, K. and Rillig, M. C.: Abiotic and biotic factors influencing the effect of microplastic on soil aggregation, Soil Systems,3(1),21,
- Helmberger, M.S., Tiemann, L.K. and Grieshop, M.J., 2020. Towards an ecology of soil microplastics. Functional Ecology, 34(3), pp.550-560.
- Rillig, M. C., Lehmann, A., de Souza Machado, A. A. and Yang, G.: Microplastic effects on plants, New Phytologist, 223(3), 1066-1070
- Guo, J.J., Huang, X.P., Xiang, L., Wang, Y.Z., Li, Y.W., Li, H., Cai, Q.Y., Mo, C.H. and Wong, M.H., 2020. Source, migration and toxicology of microplastics in soil. Environment international, 137, p.105263.
- Henseler, M., Brandes, E. and Kreins, P., 2019. Microplastics in agricultural soils: a new challenge not only for agro-environmental policy (No. 2230-2019-1967).
- Waller, C.L., Griffiths, H.J., Waluda, C.M., Thorpe, S.E., Loaiza, I., Moreno, B., Pacherres, C.O. and Hughes, K.A., 2017. Microplastics in the Antarctic marine system: an emerging area of research. Science of the total environment, 598, pp.220-227.
- Aronson, R.B., Thatje, S., McClintock, J.B., Hughes, K.A., 2011. Anthropogenic impacts on marine ecosystems in Antarctica. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1223, 82–107.
- Lusher, A., 2015. Microplastics in the marine environment: distribution, interactions and effects. In: Bergmann, M., Gutlow, L., Klages, M. (Eds.), Marine Anthropogenic Litter. Springer International Publishing, pp. 245–307.
- Ali, M.G.A. and Golden, M., 2019. Presence and Characterization of Microplastics in Drinking (Tap/Bottled) Water and Soft Drinks (Doctoral dissertation, The University of North Dakota).