Author : N.E Mabunda 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: This paper discusses how Arduino and Photo Voltaic (PV) can be used to manage geyser water temperature. National grid power is used to raise the water temperature level from its minimum value to a maximum temperature of 50 ΊC as determined by the geyser thermostat. Once the water temperature is at 50 ΊC the Arduinos software will switch the power source to a solar, which will then raise the water temperature further to a maximum of 72.5 ΊC as determined by the installed thermocouple. The solar source consists of an installed 50 W solar panel, charge controller, solar battery, Thermoelectric Generators (TG) and a 600 W modified sine wave DC to AC inverter
- T. A. MAIN AND K. A. FOLLY, "effects of tariffs and energy saving schemes on domestic households energy consumption," in africon, 2013, pointe-aux-piments, 2013.
- Eskom, "Eskom Fact Sheet," 2016. [online]. available: http://www.eskom.co.za/sites/idm/docum ents/127581eskd_geyser_fact_sheet.pdf. [accessed 12 april 2016].
- q. catherine, j. wheeler, r. wilkinson and g. de jager , "hot water usage profiling to improve geyser efficiency," journal of energy in southern africa , vol. 23, no. 1 , pp. 39-45, 2012.
- R. HULSBOS , C. P. KRUGER, G. P. HANCKE and r. M. Dos santos, "design of a smart geyser controller unit," in africon , addis ababa, 2015.
- J. BRAID, "off-grid domestic water heating from solar and wind power: a feasibility study," in africon, addis ababa, 2015.
- M. RAHMAN AND R. SHUTTLEWORTH, "thermoelectric power generation for battery charging," in energy management and power delivery, 1995, singapore, 1995
- mean-well, "600w modified sine wave dc-ac power inverter a-301/302-600 series," [online]. available: http://www.meanwell.com/mw_search/a300- 600/a-301,302-600-spec.pdf. [accessed 13 04 2016
- arduino, "arduino products > arduino yún," arduino, [online]. available: https://www.arduino.cc/en/main/arduinoboardyun. [accessed 13 april 2016].
- Q. CATHERINE, J. WHEELER, R. WILKINSON and g de jager, hot water usage profiling to improve geyser efficiency, journal of energy in southern africa 23(1) 2012, pp.39-45
- Megha M Acharya, Nikhita N, Priyanka Sateesh, Ravi Kumar M, smart vehicle prototype of arduino based vehicle, proceedings of 27th irf international conference, 26th june, 2016, bengaluru, india http://iraj.in/up_proc/pdf/236-146700839132- 35.pdf [accessed 30 june 2016].