Author : Mr. Amit Shriwas 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: A well-developed infrastructure is a foundation for growth in any country. Infrastructure provides the basic support system for other sectors of the economy expanding capabilities everywhere. Indian Infrastructure sector is going through revolutionary phase, as USD 1 trillion investment planned in 12th five year plan, according Planning Commission Government of India. The role of construction equipment is very important to face challenges of 21st century Indias infrastructure development. The research paper intended to investigate the equipment management practices in Indian construction Industry. As procurement of major construction cost 36 percent of total construction project cost. Hence effective equipment management plays important role in infrastructure project management. In this research paper, we have analyzed causes and impact of idle construction equipment on infrastructure project. We have prepared a questionnaire and conducted survey on various infrastructure project. Major finding of the research is that, many time equipment are idle due to breakdown and work front unavailability. Based on survey result, we have prepared a conceptual framework for idle construction equipment impact assessment on Infrastructure project. Tools such as critical path method, float and sharing of resources discussed to mitigate impact of effect idle construction equipment on infrastructure project. This research is of value for better understanding practices and problems relating to equipment management at infrastructure project. The study also highlights the practices that can reduce idle time construction equipment,
- “Construction Management and Equipment” by “Saurabh K. Soni”, S.K. Kataria & Sons; 2014 edition (2014)
- “Construction and Project Management for Engineers, Architects, Planners and Builders” by “K.G. Krishnamurthy and S. V. Ravindra”, CBS (1 December 2008)
- “Downtime model development for construction equipment management” by “Mr. Madhav Prasad Nepal and Mr. Moonseo Park (Assistant Professor at National University of Singapore, Singapore)”. Journal - Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management – 2004
- “Heavy Equipment Management Practices and Problems in Thai Highaway Contractor” by “Thanapun Prasertrungung and B.H.W. Hadikusumo at Asian School of Technolgy, Thailand”, Journal - Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management -2007.
- Google Forms for online survey.