Author : Kasireddy Sravani 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: The main reason for the investigation of usage of alternate fuels in internal combustion engines was due to rapid increase in urbanization, usage of automobiles leads to the depletion of petroleum products, increase in emission of exhaust gases has increased. The emissions coming from engines cause severe harm to environment. So to overcome this problem government had lay down strict regulations to the engine manufacturers and consumers to follow emission norms. In this regard, alternate fuels came into existence after various investigations of many researchers. The various alternate fuels derived from plants and vegetables are such as pongamia, jatropha, soybean, mahua oil, rice bran oil, palm, neem etc. considered as potential alternatives for heavy vehicles. The direct usage of vegetable oil in diesel engine is restricted because of their high viscosity, poor atomization, incomplete combustion and carbon deposition on the fuel injectors. The viscosity of vegetable oil reduced by the process of transesterification by converting vegetable oil into methyl ester or ethyl ester known as biodiesel. The objective of this paper is comparision of performance and emissions of diesel engine with diesel and blending of biodiesel by using nano fluid as additive. In this study the comparison of performance and emission characteristics of internal combustion engine of different pistons with provision of different shapes of grooves on the piston crown. Experimental work has done on single cylinder diesel engine with blending of pongamia biodiesel with diesel and by using nano fluid at different proportions as additive which it is used for improving the engine performance.Further calculating the performance and emissions like CO, NOX, HC of single cylinder engine with pongamia biodiesel as a fuel by varying pistons and by varying nano fluid proportion
- S.Karthikeyan, A.Elango And A.Prathima, “performance and emission study on zinc oxide particles addition with pomolin stearin wax biodiesel of CI engine”. Volume 73, march 2014, journal of scientific & industrial research.
- Puneet Varma, M.P.Sharma, “performance and emission characteristics of biodiesel fuelled diesel engines” vol.5, no.1, 2015, international journal of renewable energy research.
- S.Ghosh, D.Dutta, “performance and exhaust emission analysis of direct injection diesel engine using pongamia oil” volume 2, issue 12, december 2012, ijetae.
- S.Manibharathi, B.Annadurai, R.Chandraprakash, “experimental investigation of CI engine performance by nanoadditive in biofuel” volume 3, issue 12, december 2014, ijsetr.
- Ar.manickam, k.rajan, n.manoharan & kr.senthil kumar, “reduction of exhaust emissions on a biodiesel fuelled diesel engine with the effect of oxygenated additives”. Vol 6 no 5 oct-nov 2014,ijet.
- Ghanshyam s.soni, prof. Dr.pravin p. Rathod, prof. Jigish j. Goswami, “performance and emission characteristics of CI engine using diesel and biodiesel blends with nanoparticles as additive” – a review study. Volume 3,issue 4 2015,ijedr.
- SUTHAR DINESH KUMAR L, DR.RATHOD PRAVIN P., PROF.PATEL NIKUL K. “performance and emission by effect of fuel additives for CI engine fuelled with blend of biodiesel and diesel” – a review study, vol.3/issue 4/oct-dec, 2012/01-04, jers.
- K.Nanthagopal,R.Thundil, Karupparaj,Vituniversity, vellore.“effect of pongamia biodiesel on emission and combustion characteristics of di compression ignition engine” october 2014, ain shams engineering journal.
- M.S.Kumar, A.Ramesh, “an experimental comparision of methods to use methanol and pongamia oil in a compression ignition engine”, biomass and bioenergy, vol.25 2003, 309-318.
- Ganesh D, “effect of nano-fuel additive on emission reduction in a biodiesel fuelled CI engine” ieee, pp.3453-3459, 2011.
- M. Nagarhalli, V.Nandedkar, K. Mohite, “emission and performance characteristics of karanja biodiesel and its blends in a CI engine and its economics. Aprnj eng appl sCI, 5, (2010) 52-6
- Labeckas.G, Slavinskas.S, Mazeika.M, “the effect of ethanol-diesel-biodiesel blends on combustion, performance and emissions of a direct injection diesel engine. Energ convers manage (79) 2014:698-720.