Author : M.Yugandhar 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: Three body abrasion in the present study, TiNNiMo composites were re milled to particle size of 250315 ?m and used as reinforcements for Ni ,Cr ,B ,Si alloy by plasma transferred arc hard facing process. The manufactured hard facing alloy was characterized in terms of microstructure, mechanical properties and abrasive wear resistance. Deposition results indicate good quality thick coating with uniform distribution of hard cermet (TiNNiMo) particles in the matrix, minimum level of hard particle dissolution and low porosity of the hard facing. Cermets particles remain in initial form and consist of agglomerates (TiN and (Ti,Mo)C grains) embedded into Ni-based matrix. The mechanical properties of the TiN and (Ti,Mo)C phases measured by Nano indentation are very similar exhibiting a narrow distribution. The nano-scratching test reveals excellent bonding between the matrix and cermets in the hard facing. No crack propagation was found in the interface matrix/hard phase region. The abrasive wear results ensure the promising features of TiNNiMo reinforcements for Ni-based alloys. Produced coatings showed excellent performance under high-stress abrasion with wear values lower than for industrially used WC/W2C reinforced coatings
- B.G. Mellor, Surface Coatings for Protection Against Wear, Chapter 9, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, 2006, p. 302.
- R. Chattopadhyay, Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York, 2004, p. 1.
- E. Badisch, C. Katsich, H. Winkelmann, F. Franek, M. Roy, Tribol. Int. 43 (2010) 1234.
- R.L. Deuis, J.M. Yellup, C. Subramanian, Compos. Sci. Technol. 58 (1998) 299.
- J. Nurminen, J. Nökki, P. Vuoristo, Int. J. Refract. Met. Hard Mater 27 (2009) 472.
- M. Kirchgaßner, E. Badisch, F. Franek, Wear 265 (2008) 772.
- C. Katsich, E. Badisch, Surf. Coat. Technol. 206 (2011) 1062.
- S. Chatterjee, T.K. Pal, Wear 261 (2006) 1069
- S. Ndlovu, The Wear Properties of Tungsten CarbideCobalt Hardmetals from the nanoscale up to the Macroscopic Scale, PhD thesis, Erlangen,2009.
- I. Hussainova, Wear 258 (2005) 357.
- J. Kuzmanovic, WC-W2C Particle Reinforced Powder Metallurgy Iron and Nickel Matrix Composites Produced by Pressing and Sintering, MSc thesis, Vienna TU, 2011.
- S. Cardinal, A. Malchere, V. Garnier, G. Fantozzi, Int. J. Refract. Met. Hard Mater 27 (2009) 521.
- I. Hussainova, Wear 255 (2003) 121.
- J. Kübarsepp, H. Klaasen, J. Pirso, Wear 249 (2001) 229.
- M. Antonov, I. Hussainova, Tribol. Int. (2009) 1566.
- Y.P. Kathuria, Surf. Coat. Technol. 140 (2001) 195
- R.L. Sun, Y.W. Lei, W. Niu, Surf. Coat. Technol. 203 (2009) 1395.