Author : S.Sirajuddin 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: The increased attention on alternative fuels in the recent years was mainly driven by increasing oil prices, strong emission norms and the concern on clean environment. The biodiesel has emerged as a potential substitute for diesel fuel on the amount of its renewable source and lesser emissions. In order to increase the swirl in the combustion chamber, we are redesigning the piston crown with elliptical shaped grooves over it. The present research is aimed to investigate experimentally the performance and exhaust emission characteristics of a direct injection compression ignition engine equipped with a redesigned piston crown fuelled with conventional diesel fuel, blend of diesel and rice bran oil biodiesel, and blends of diesel and rice bran oil biodiesel with varying proportions of zinc oxide nano materials as additives over the entire range of load on the engine. The piston in the diesel engine is replaced and then fuelled with the above said fuels. The performance parameters such as brake power, specific fuel consumption, thermal efficiencies are calculated based on the experimental analysis and engine emissions such as CO, HC, CO2 , and NOx emissions are measured. The data has been analyzed and the results are presented and discussed in this project.
- subhan kumar mohanty “a production of biodiesel from rice bran oil and experimenting on small capacity small capacity diesel engine" vol.3. 2013,international journal for modern engineering research.
- gagandeep singh, rupinder singh, gurupreet singh “utilization of rice bran oil and ethanol blend in a single cylinder di diesel engine” vol 1,2013 international journal for emerging science and engineering.
- satinder singh, yunus mohammed, guru preeth singh batth “ experimental study on utilization of bbiodiesel blend with dmc in a single cylinder ci engine” vol 4 2014 international journal of emerging technology and advanced engineering.
- v.nageswar reddy, r.madhu kumar, r.vidyasagarraju “performance tests and study of combustion characteristics of rice bran oil as a ci engine fuel” vol 3, 2014, international journal of engineering research.
- jasanpreetsingha, nariendar kumar, s.k.mahale “rice bran oil biodiesel as an alternative in a single cylinder ci engine with di ethyl ether blends” vol 1,2013, international journal for emerging science and engineering
- Deepa, Mythilli, Anbalagan, Kamal “Production of Biodiesel from Rice bran oil” Vol 4,2015 International of Innovative Research in Science;Engineering and Technology
- Emmanuel I. Bello &Oluwole O. Oluboba “Rice Bran Oil Biodiesel” Vol 2, 2014, European Journal Of Engineering and Technology.  Mr.C.V.Subba Reddy etal., titled „Effect of tangential grooves on piston crown of DI diesel engine with % blends of cotton seed oil methyl Easter‟ in IJRRAS on oct 2012.
- Mr.S.Sunil Kumar Reddy etal., titled „The effect of turbulence on the emissions of an insulated DI diesel engine with insulated combustion chamber‟ in IJEAT April 2013.
- J Paul Rufus Babuetal., titled „Experimental investigation of rhombus shaped grooves on piston crown of a single cylinder 4 stroke diesel engine‟ in IJMERR on January 2015
- Ammar A Al-Rousan (2008), “Study on Improvement of Fuel Economy and Reduction Emission for a Gasoline Engines by Homogeneity Enhancement of the Charge”, Australian Journal ofBasic and Applied Sciences, Vol. 2, pp. 1012-1020, INS Inet Publication.
- Arturo de Risi, Teresa Donateo and DomenicoLaforgia (2003), “Optimization of the Combustion Chamber of Di rect Injection Diesel Engines”, SAE2003-01-1064.
- Gunabalan A and Ramaprabhu (November 2009), “Effect of Piston Bowl Geometry on Flow, Combustion and Emission in DI Diesel Engine—A CFD Approach”,International Journal ofApplied Engineering Research