Author : Sujay Dasgupta 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: Agriculture plays a vital role in Indias economy. Over 58 % of the rural households depend on agriculture as their principal means of livelihood and irrigation technologies are going to be point of focus in future developments.Irrigation is the procedure through which farming efficiency can be increased when deficiency of rain is there. This calls for focused attention to promote improved water management practices in irrigation projects suffering from operational deficiencies and integrated water resources development and management approach. Typical irrigation systems consume great amount of conventional energy through the use of electric motors and pumps powered by diesel. The variation of spatial and temporal distribution of available water for irrigation makes significant demand on water conservation techniques, this can be done by automation in irrigation by using solar energy which is free and able to help in reducing waste of water and time, both for farmers. The main objective of this review paper is to present a comprehensive literature review starting from conventional irrigation system technology to the latest trends of solar power based automatic irrigation system available commercially and available in research stage. Also comparisons between solar based automatic irrigation system with existing technologies, based on various parameters like energy efficiency, feasibility, economic viability is carried out in depth & conclusions are presented in the forms of remarks.
- A report on Solar PV Applications in India, published by Center for Study of Science, Technology and Policy (2006- 07)
- Odeh, I, Yohanis, Y.G., and Norton, B. Economic viability of photovoltaic water pumping systems. Solar Energy 80 , pp. 850-860, http://www.sciencedirect.com
- Kamel, K. and Dahl, C. The economics of hybrid power systems for sustainable desert agriculture in Egypt. Solar Energy , pp. 1271-1281, http://www.sciencedirect.com
- Cuadros, F., Lopez-Rodriguez, F., Marcos, A. and Coello, J. A procedure to size solar-powered irrigation [photoirrigation] schemes. Solar Energy 76 , pp. 465- 473, http://www.sciencedirect.com.
- Foster, R.E., Gupta, V.P. and Sanchez-Juarez, A. Field Testing of CdTe PV Modules in Mexico. ASES Solar 2006: Renewable Energy: Key to Climate Recovery. Jul. 8-13, 2006, Denver, CO, 6pp..
- Daud, A.-K. and Mahmoud, M. M. Solar powered induction motor-driven water pump operating on a desert well, simulation and field tests. Renewable Energy 30  pp. 701-714,
- Clark, R.N. Photovoltaic water pumping for livestock in the Southern Plains. American Society of Agricultural Engineers Paper No. 94-4529, 1994.
- Vick, B.D. and Clark, R.N. Comparison of Solar Powered Water Pumping systems which use Diaphragm Pumps. ASES 2007: Sustainable Energy Puts America to Work. July 7-12, Cleveland, OH, 6 pp.
- Clark, R.N. and Vick, B.D., Performance Comparison of Tracking and Non-Tracking Solar Photovoltaic Water Pumping Systems, American Society of Agricultural Engineers. 1997, ASAE Paper No. 97-4003,
- FosterR,MajidG,CotaA.Atestbookofsolarenergy.RenewE nergyEnviron2014[accessed07.06.14].β©www.amazon.com/So lar-Energy-Renewable-Environmentβͺ.
- RohitKB,KarveG,KhatriM.Solarwaterpumpingsystem.Int JEmerg TechnolAdvEng2013;3:225–59.
- KouQ,KleinSA,BeckmanWA.Amethodforestimatingthel ong-term performance ofdirectcoupledPVpumpingsystems.SolEnergy 1998;64:33–40.
- ProtogerC,PearceS.Laboratoryevaluationandsystemsizing chartsfora second generationdirectPVpowered,lowcostsubmersiblesolarpump.Sol Energy 2000;68:453–74.
- FosterRobert,CotaAlma.Solarwaterpumpingadvancesand comparative economics. EnergyProcedia2014;57:1431–6.
- Solar-module-price-trends. β©http://www.solarquarter.com/index.php/compo nent/k2/item/452-solar-module-price-trendsβͺ [accessed 19.01.15].
- Top10world'smostefficientsolarPVmodules(MonoCrystalline). β©http://www.solarplaza.com/top10-crystallinemodule-efficiency/βͺ [accessed09.01.15].
- AboudaS,NolletF,ChaariA,EssounbouliN,KoubaaY.Dire cttorquecontrol – DTC ofinductionmotorusedforpilotingacentrifugalpumpsuppliedby aphotovoltaicgenerator.IntJElectrRobotElectronCommunEng 2013;7 (8):619–24.
- ChandrasekaranN,ThyagarajahK.Modelingandperforman cestudyofsingle phase inductionmotorinPVfedpumpingsystemusingMATLAB.IntJE lectr Eng 2012;5(3):305–16.
- Vick, B.D., Clark, R.N., Water Pumping Performance of a Solar-PV Helical Pump, ISES 2005 Solar World Congress: Solar Energy – Bringing Water to the World Aug. 6-12, Orlando, FL, 5 pp.