Author : M.Rajasekhar 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: This paper presents a modular cascaded H-bridge multilevel photovoltaic (PV) inverter for single- or three-phase gridconnected applications. The modular cascaded multilevel topology helps to improve the efficiency and flexibility of PV systems. To realize better utilization of PV modules and maximize the solar energy extraction, a distributed maximum power point tracking control scheme is applied to both single- and three-phase multilevel inverters, which allows independent control of each dc-link voltage. For three-phase grid-connected applications, PV mismatches may introduce unbalanced supplied power, leading to unbalanced grid current. To solve this issue, a control scheme with modulation compensation is also proposed. An experimental three-phase seven-level cascaded H-bridge inverter has been built utilizing nine H-bridge modules (three modules per phase). Each H-bridge module is connected to a 185-W solar panel. Simulation and experimental results are presented to verify the feasibility of the proposed approach
- J. M. Carrasco et al., ―Power-electronic systems for the grid integration of renewable energy sources: A survey,‖ IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1002–1016, Jun. 2006.
- S. B. Kjaer, J. K. Pedersen, and F. Blaabjerg, ―A review of single-phase grid connected inverters for photovoltaic modules,‖ IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1292–1306, Sep./Oct. 2005.
- M. Meinhardt and G. Cramer, ―Past, present and future of grid connected photovoltaic- and hybrid power-systems,‖ in Proc. IEEE PES Summer Meet., 2000, vol. 2, pp. 1283–1288.
- M. Calais, J. Myrzik, T. Spooner, and V. G. Agelidis, ―Inverter for single phase grid connected photovoltaic systems—An overview,‖ in Proc. IEEEPESC, 2002, vol. 2, pp. 1995–2000.
- J.M. A.Myrzik andM. Calais, ―String and module integrated inverters for single-phase grid connected photovoltaic systems—A review,‖ in Proc.IEEE Bologna Power Tech Conf., 2003, vol. 2, pp. 1–8.
- F. Schimpf and L. Norum, ―Grid connected converters for photovoltaic, state of the art, ideas for improvement of transformerless inverters,‖ in Proc. NORPIE, Espoo, Finland, Jun. 2008, pp. 1–6.
- B. Liu, S. Duan, and T. Cai, ―Photovoltaic DC-buildingmodule-based BIPV system—Concept and design considerations,‖ IEEE Trans. PowerElectron., vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1418–1429, May 2011.
- L. M. Tolbert and F. Z. Peng, ―Multilevel converters as a utility interface for renewable energy systems,‖ in Proc. IEEE Power Eng. Soc. SummerMeet., Seattle, WA, USA, Jul. 2000, pp. 1271–1274.