Author : Harsha Babu 1
Date of Publication :7th August 2016
Abstract: The surface of aggregate is polar and are water loving and in order to change the polar surface of aggregate and to give a better covered coating with bitumen a nanomaterial is been used. The nano material used in this study is zycotherm. Tests were conducted to evaluate the effects of nano modifier on the volumetric properties, mechanical properties, creep characteristics and rutting potential of Bituminous Concrete mix. The tests undertaken comprise the Marshall test, indirect tensile strength test, boil test, indirect tensile stiffness modulus test, creep test and wheel rut test. The study reveals that the the basic properties of bitumen remains same even after the addition of nano material, all other properties have improved.
- You, Z., Mills-Beale, J., Foley, J.M., Roy, S., Odegard, G.M., Dai, Q. and Goh, S.W. “NanoclayModified Asphalt Materials: Preparation and Characterization”. Construction and Building Materials, 25, 1072-1078, 2011
- Fang, C., Yu, R., Liu, S. and Li, Y. “Nano Materials Applied in Asphalt Modification: A Review”. Journal of Materials Science and Technology, 29, 589-594. 2013
- Ameri, M., Kouchaki, S. and Roshani, H.“Laboratory Evaluation of the Effect of NanoOrganosilane Anti- Stripping Additive on the Moisture Susceptibility of HMA Mixtures under Freeze-Thaw Cycles.” Construction and Building Materials, 48, 1009-1016. 2013
- Mohammad R. and Navid J. “ An Experimental Study on Effect of Nano-Materials On Mixing and Compaction Temperature of Limestone Nature HMA ” J. Current World Environment Vol. 10(Special Issue 1), 467-473, 2015
- AASHTO : T 283-89 “Resistance of compacted bituminous mixture to moisture induced damage” American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Washington D.C
- Yao, H., You, Z., Li, L., Lee, C., Wingard, D., Yap, Y., Shi, X. and Goh, S. (2013) “Rheological Properties and Chemical Bonding of Asphalt Modified with Nano Silica.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 25, 1619-1630,2013
- Yang, J. and Tigheb, S. “A Review of Advances of Nanotechnology in Asphalt Mixtures.” ProcediaSocial and Behavioral Sciences, 96, 1269-1276, 2103
- MoRTH (2013) “Specification for Roads and Bridge works” published by Indian Road Congress, New Delhi
- ASTM Standard D3625/D3625M – 12. “Standard Practice for Effect of Water on Bituminous-Coated Aggregate Using Boiling Water” American Society for Testing and Materials Standards, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, USA.
- IS: 1203 (1978) “Methods for Testing Tar and Bituminous Materials – Determination of Softening Point” New Delhi, India
- IS: 1203 (1978) “Methods for Testing Tar and Bituminous Materials – Determination of Penetration” New Delhi, India
- IS: 1203 (1978) “Methods for Testing Tar and Bituminous Materials – Determination of specific gravity” New Delhi, India