Author : K. Suresh 1
Date of Publication :7th October 2016
Abstract: Grid-connected distributed generation sources interfaced with voltage source inverters (VSIs) need to be disconnected from the grid under: 1) excessive dc-link voltage; 2) excessive ac currents; and 3) loss of grid-voltage synchronization. In this paper, the control of single- and two-stage grid-connected VSIs in photovoltaic (PV) power plants is developed to address the issue of inverter disconnecting under various grid faults. Inverter control incorporates reactive power support in the case of voltage sags based on the grid codes (GCs) requirements to ride-through the faults and support the grid voltages. A case study of a 1-MW system simulated in MATLAB/Simulink software is used to illustrate the proposed control. Problems that may occur during grid faults along with associated remedies are discussed. The results presented illustrate the capability of the system to ride-through different types of grid faults.
- L. Trilla et al., “Modeling and validation of DFIG 3- MW wind turbine using field test data of balanced and unbalanced voltage sags,” IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 509–519, Oct. 2011.
- M. Popat, B. Wu, and N. Zargari, “Fault ride-through capability of cascaded current-source converter-based offshore wind farm,” IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 314–323, Apr. 2013.
- A. Marinopoulos et al., “Grid integration aspects of large solar PV installations:LVRT capability and reactive power/voltage support requirements,” in Proc. IEEE Trondheim PowerTech, Jun. 2011, pp. 1–8.
- G. Islam, A. Al-Durra, S. M. Muyeen, and J. Tamura, “Low voltage ride through capability enhancement of grid connected large scale photovoltaic system,” in Proc. 37th Annu. Conf. IEEE Ind. Electron. Soc. (IECON), Nov. 2011, pp. 884–889.
- P. Dash and M. Kazerani, “Dynamic modeling and performance analysis of a grid-connected current-source inverter-based photovoltaic system,” IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 443–450, Oct. 2011.
- A. Yazdani et al., “Modeling guidelines and a benchmark for power system simulation studies of threephase single-stage photovoltaic systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 1247–1264, Apr. 2011