Author : Ms. Pratiksha S. Narwate 1
Date of Publication :7th December 2016
Abstract: Earthquake vibrations can be controlled by using various types of energy dissipating devices such as Dampers, Bracings, Base isolation etc. Dampers are the energy dissipating devices used in the structure, so as to control vibrations in structure resulting into reduction of the violent earthquake motions transmission into the structure. A magnetic levitation type seismic isolation device composed of permanent magnets can theoretically remove horizontal vibration completely. Bracings are provided so that no twisting is induced in the building owing to unsymmetrical stiffness in plan of the structure. At preliminary stage, the bracing system analysis using competent software to have the idea about the behaviour of structure over seismic forces under earthquake condition. Various important parameters are to be considered while having the analysis of the structure with provision of bracings. The same analysis is to be done using hybrid dampers along with levitation force. Various energy dissipating devices are used to reduce the effect of earthquake on structure but it can only reduce effect up to some extent .This facilitates the need for implementation of additional techniques for a better behaviour and stiffness of the structure. This paper enlightensthe technique to reduce the effect of earthquake using various energy dissipating devices along with repulsive force by using a pair of magnet to levitate the structural joints such as column-beam and study the improvement in performance of structure.
- Yash A. Mulik, Rajnish R. Bariya, Aishwarya S. Ingle, Kamlesh S. Zinjurke, “An Investigation Study of Effective Use of Magnetic Levitation to Control Horizontal Vibrations for Seismic Isolation of the Structures” International Journal of Engineering Research, Volume No.5, Issue Special 1 pp : 18-20,8 & 9 Jan 2016.
- N. Peter, “Tuned-Mass Systems for the Seismic Retrofit of Buildings”, Seventh International Congress on Advances in Civil Engineering: 2000.
- C. C. Lin et al., “Seismic response reduction of irregular buildings using passive tuned mass dampers”, Engineering Structures, Vol.22, 1999, pp. 513–524.
- S Chakraborty and B. K. Roy, “Reliability based optimum design of Tuned Mass Damper in seismic vibration control of structures with bounded uncertain parameters”, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 26, 2011, pp. 215–221.
- Vajreshwari Umachagi1, Katta Venkataramana2, G. R. Reddy3, Rajeev Verma4, “Applications of Dampers For Vibration Control of Structures: An Overview”,IJRET: International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, pp.06-11.
- M. Tsuda, T. Kojima, T. Yagai, and T. Hamajima, “Vibration characteristics in magnetic levitation type seismic isolation device composed ofmultipleHTSbulksandpermanentmagnets,IEEETrans.Ap pl.Supercond” vol. 17, 2007
- Beaty, B. “Maglev Magnetic Levitation Suspension Device”.[online] http://amasci.com/maglev/magschem.html [October 2005].