Author : Ramesh B. T 1
Date of Publication :7th May 2016
Abstract: This paper describes about the modified locomotive roof top that can generate electricity. The new modification of the locomotive roof top is by adding the blade/fins to the horizontal shaft to help it to spin faster and more efficient. Optimum design and performance of the system also discussed. This system is suitable to use for the high speed wind places. The system is containing the combination of the DC generator, roof top wind turbine, batteries. This system managed to produce 12 Vdc to 14 Vdc to charge the 12 Vdc batteries system. The operational concept of the system is the load will use the energy from the batteries that charged using locomotive roof top. The observed performances of system are the voltage and current of the roof top wind turbine, batteries and the load.
- Mechanical Engineering Design, Joseph E Shigley and Charles R. Mischke. McGraw Hill International edition, 6th Edition 2009
- Kazmerski L., Ramakumar R., “The Engineering Handbook, Power Systems and Engineering Generation”. December 1988.
- Greenhouse Technology for Controlled Environment, G.N. Tiwari, Alpha Science International Ltd., Pangbourne.England.
- Mukund R. Patel, “Wind and Solar Power System” 2 nd Edition, Taylor & Francis Group, 2006
- Shun S. and Ahmed N.A, “Utilizing Wind and Solar Energy as Power Sources for hybrid Building Ventilation Device,” J. Renewable Energy, 2008, Vol. 33, pp. 1392-1397.
- Muller G., Jentsch M.F., and Stoddart E., “Vertical Axis Resistance Type Wind Turbines for Use in Buildings,” J. Renewable Energy, 2009, Vol. 34, pp. 1407-1412.
- Malaysian Meteorological Department, ministry of Science, Technology and Innovations MOSTI 2009, Jalan Sultan, Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
- Petchers, Neil Ch.14 “Combined Heating, Cooling & Power Handbook: Technologies Applications: An Integrated Approach to Energy Resource Optimization” . August 2003.
- Breedy, Peter C., “ The Physical Basis of Analogies in Physical Systems Models, Ch.15”. February 2002.