Author : Shiju.J 1
Date of Publication :7th May 2016
Abstract: Nowadays, heat exchanger becomes the prominent application for sensible cooling and sensible heating applications. Heat exchanger size is the critical criteria due to availability various heat transfer augmentation techniques. Twist tape inserts is the one of the heat transfer augmentation techniques. In this work deals with the design of twisted tube heat exchanger using design calculations. Then Computational fluid dynamics analysis will be carried out on plain double pipe heat exchanger and its thermal performance parameters like surface heat transfer coefficient, surface Nusselt number, pressure drop and thermal resistance will be estimated for various Reynolds number . The same analysis will be carried over same heat exchanger with twist tape insert with various twist ratios. Twist ratio is the ratio of length of one twist to diameter of inner tube. Finally, the he thermal performance parameters like surface heat transfer coefficient, surface Nusselt number, pressure drop and thermal resistance will be compared and validated with available correlations in the literature for various Reynolds number. To carry out this analysis same type fluid will be used in the both the tubes and heat exchanger material will be considered as Aluminum. All this CFD analysis will be carried out with Ansys CFX 14.0 and it will be carried out by using k - ? turbulence model and Governing equations are solved by adopting a control volume-based finite-Volume method with a high resolution scheme on an orthogonal non-uniform staggered grid and the pressure based terms of momentum equations are solved by the computational fluid dynamics.
- Sarang S. Hole .,Hanumant B. Narute.,Nilesh S. Zagade., “A Bird view on Heat Transfer Enhancement in a Tube with Twisted Tape Insert” International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication Volume: 3 Issue: 3, March 2015.
- N.B. Dhamane1, D.B. Nalawade, M.M. Dange. “Performance Analysis Of Wavy Twisted Tape Insert For Heat Transfer In A Circular Tube” International Journal For Technological Research In Engineering Volume 1, Issue 6, February-2014.
- Pankaj N. Shrirao, Rajeshkumar U.Sambhe, Pradip R.Bodade “Convective Heat Transfer Analysis in a Circular Tube with Different Types of Internal Threads of Constant Pitch” International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology (IJEAT), Volume-2, Issue-3, February 2013.
- Pankaj N. Shrira, Dr. Rajeshkumar U. Sambhe2,Pradip R .Bodade “Experimental Investigation on Turbulent Flow Heat Transfer Enhancement in a Horizontal Circular Pipe using internal threads of varying depth” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) Volume 5, Issue 3 (Jan. - Feb. 2013).
- Suhas V., Patil and P., V.Vijay Babu. “Heat Transfer Augmentation in a Circular tube and Square duct Fitted with Swirl Flow Generators: A Review” International Journal of Chemical Engineering and Applications, Vol. 2 , No. 5 , October 2011.
- Eiamsa-ard, S., Seemawute, P. and Wongcharee, K. “Influences of peripherally-cut twisted tape insert on heat transfer and thermal performance characteristics in laminar and turbulent tube flows”, Exp. Thermal and Fluid Science , Vol. 34, No. , pp. 711-719, 2010b.
- Eiamsa-ard, S., Wongcharee, K., Eiamsa-ard, P. and Thianpong, C.“Heat transfer enhancement in a tube using delta-winglet twisted tape inserts”, Appl. Thermal Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 310-318, 2010a.
- P.Murugesan a.,K. Mayilsamy b., S. Suresh c, P.S.S. Srinivasan., “Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop Characteristics of Turbulent Flow in a Tube Fitted with Trapezoidal-cut Twisted Tape Insert” International Journal of Academic Research Vol. 1. No. 1. September 2009.