Author : Pravin Bhad 1
Date of Publication :7th September 2016
Abstract: In this paper, we deal with transient thermal stress problem of an elliptical disc subjected to internal heat source with mixed-type boundary conditions. The solution of conductivity equation and the corresponding initial and boundary conditions are obtained by employing a new integral transform technique. The governing equation for small deflection is found and utilized to find intensities of thermal bending moments and twisting moments, etc. involving the Mathieu and modified functions and their derivatives. The analytical solution for the thermal stress components are obtained in terms of resultant forces and resultant moments, and same are illustrated graphically
- McLachlan, N.W., Theory and Application of Mathieu function, Oxford Univ. Press, 1947.
- Cheng, S., Bending of an elliptic plate under a moment at the center, Tech. Sum. Rept. No. 444, Math. Res. Center, Univ, Wisconsin (1963).
- Mahalanabis, R.K., On steady state mixed boundary value problems of a transversely isotropic material for a half-space and a thick plate, Bulletin of Cal. Math. Soc., vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 151-162, 1968.
- Singh, B. M., Dhaliwal, R.S., Mixed boundaryvalue problems of steady-state thermoelasticity and electrostatics, Journal of Thermal Stresses, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1-11, 1978.
- Huang, S.C., Chang, Y.P., Anisotropic heat conduction with mixed boundary conditions, J. of Heat Transfer, vol. 106, no. 3. pp. 646–648, 1984.
- Bhad, P. P., Varghese, V., Khalsa, L. H., Heat source problem of thermoelasticity in an elliptic plate with thermal bending moments, Journal of Thermal Stresses [Accepted for publication in Aug’2016].