Author : Sathvik Sripad 1
Date of Publication :7th September 2016
Abstract: In recent times, understanding the vibration patterns of structures has become very crucial :courtesy the various types of forces, both static and dynamic coming into play. Modal analysis helps to determine the vibrational characteristics of a structure explicitly during its design process. Behavioral tendencies of structures under time dependant loads can at times be tricky as the exact nature of dynamic loadings is difficult to comprehend. Modal analysis has proven to be helpful in our understanding towards many vibrational phenomena that were encountered in practice. In this work, focus has been laid on one structural entity- the beam. Finite elemental analysis was carried out for the beams using ANSYS WORKBENCH as a platform for the same. Simply supported beams made up of structural steel, Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer(CFRP) and Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer(GFRP) with both fibers aligned at zero degree inclinations were fabricated under ANSYS Workbench platform simulated under modal analysis. Results were duly compared with respect to the natural frequencies and deflections produced in the three types of beams.
- G.R GILLICH and I. NEGRU. (2012), “The relationship between changes of deflection and natural frequencies of damaged beams” Advances in Remote Sensing Finite Differences and Information Security”
- O. S. Salawu.(1995),” Detection of Structural Damage through changes in Frequency: a Review” Engineering Structures, Vol. 19, No. 9, pp. 718-723, 1997 © 1997 Elsevier Science Ltd.
- Norazman Mohamad Nor, Mohd Hanif Ahmad Boestamam, Mohammed Alias Yusof(2013),” Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer (CFRP) as Reinforcement for Concrete Beam” International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering (ISSN 2250-2459, ISO 9001:2008 Certified Journal, Volume 3, Issue 2, February 2013)
- Saeed Ghaffarpour Jahromi ,Parinaz Arashnia(2015)” AN EXPERIMENTAL AND NUMERICAL STUDY ON THE PULTRUDED GFRP I-SECTIONS BEAMS” Proceedings of International Conference on Structural Architectural and Civil Engineering Held on 21- 22, Nov, 2015, in Dubai, ISBN:9788193137321
- M.Hajianmaleki and M. S. Qatu(2013),” Vibrations of straight and curved composite beams: A review” Composite Structures 100 (2013) 218–232.