Author : Priyanka Baji 1
Date of Publication :7th February 2017
Abstract: In present years, water pollution has become one of the most critical environmental challenges. The Artificial Floating Islands (AFIs) are an innovative variant of wetlands with substrates-rooted plants and free-floating aquatic plant systems, which consist of aquatic or terrestrial plants growing in a hydroponic manner with buoyant frames floating on the surface of water bodies. Eco engineered remedy such as floating wetland is commonly presented as an important strategy for maintaining and improving water quality and aesthetic appearance of water bodies. Literature review indicates that previous works are carried out at different scales using different design parameters. Artificial Floating Islands (AFIs) are vegetated floating platforms applied in lakes, ponds and reservoirs to improve the aquatic environment. AFIs have four functions: water purification, habitat enhancement shoreline erosion protection, and improved landscape features. This paper reviews the studies carried out by earlier researchers on AFI. The primary advantages of AFIs are that they float and adjust to water level variations in reservoirs and reduce predation risks by providing safe protections for nesting birds. The paper presents the type, structure, function, and developing history of AFIs. By analyzing the social-economic benefits, advices are given for applying AFIs technology to improve the water environment and to improve crops thereby creating a win-win model for both environmental protection and agricultural development in rural places. Based on the review it can be concluded that AFI technology is promising and acceptable even indigenously
- Ash and Truong (2004)., “The use of vetiver grass for sewerage treatment.” Sewage management QEPA conference.
- Headley and Tanner(2008)., “ Floating treatement wetlands: an innovative option for stormwater quality.”11th international conference on wetland systems for water pollution control.
- Zhaohua Li, Yanqiang Li , Wei Huang, Lianhai Sang (2013), “Artificial Floating Islands: a Technology for Clean Water and Agricultural Production in Rural China.” International Journal of Environmental Protection, 3 (1), 7- 14
- Yeh N, Yeh P, Chang Y., (2015), “Artificial floating islands for environmental improvement.” Renewable and sustainable Energy Reviews , 47, 616–622
- Deshmukh P. and Mane S., (2016) “Experimental Investigation of Eco Engineered Remedy for Water Pollution Using Artificial Floating Island.” 32nd National convention of environmental engineer, challenges in environment management of growing urbanization hosted by the institution of engineers Pune local centre.
- Yao K, Song S, Zhang Z, Xu J, Zhang R, Liu J ,Cheng L and Liu J., (2011), “Vegetation characteristics and water purification by artificial floating island.” African Journal of Biotechnology, 10(82), 19119-19125