Author : Ashwini J N 1
Date of Publication :12th April 2017
Abstract: The RC frame with bracings is an efficient and economical method to resist the lateral forces acting on the structure. Under the seismic loading, the conventional steel bracings buckle due to compression. Buckling restrained braces are the innovative bracing systems which show same load deformation behaviour under both compression and tension. Aim of this study is to compare the conventional steel braces and buckling restrained braces considering a 10 storey RC frame for different configuration of braces. The analysis is performed using commercially available software ETABSv2016. For different configuration of braces the response spectrum analysis is performed and the parameters such as storey drifts and base shear are evaluated for all type of bracing configuration. From the study it is concluded that BRB with the X bracings arranged in central bay perform better during earthquake event
- P. Shetty and B. S. Naveen Kumar, “Time period analysis of RC buildings with or without influence of bracings,” International journal of modern chemistry and applied sciences, pp. 148-152, 2015.
- Prathiban and S. Krishnamurthy, “Innovative use of Buckling Restrained Braces in framed structures,” International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1744-1750, 2015.
- “Star SeismicTM Buckling Restrained Braces in ETABS Integrated Building Design Software”.
- Kalyanaram V, K. Mahadevan and Thairani K, “Core loaded Earthquake resistant bracing system,” Journal of Constructional Steel Reearch, vol. 46, pp. 437-9, 1998.
- N. D. Sontakke and P. Lande, “Comparitive Study of Buckling Restrained Braces and Conventional braces in a Medium Rise Building,” International Journal Of Engineering Research, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 625-628, 2016.
- IS 1893-1894 AND 2002(Part I), “Criteria for earthquake resistant design of structure,” bureau of Indian Standards.
- IS 456 2000, “Plain and reinforced concrete-code of practise,” Bureau of indian standards New Delhi.
- R. Sabelli, S. Mahin and C. Chang, “Seismic demands on steel braced frames with buckling restrained braces,” Engineering structures, pp. 655-666, 2008.
- D. R. Sahoo and S. H. Chao, “Performance-Based Plastic Design (PBPD) of High-Rise Buckling-Restrained Braced Frames,” Engineering structures, pp. 2950-2958, 2010.
- M. A. Moien and M. Hosseini, “A study on effect of bracing arrengement in seismic behaviour of building with various bracings by Non linear static and dynamic analysis,” in 15th World conference on earthquake engineering, Beijing China, 2012.
- R. M. Maheri and R. AKbari, “Siesmic behaviour factor R, for steel X braced and knee braced RC buildings,” Engineering structures, pp. 1505-1513, 2003.