Author : Burkhande Gaurav Rajeshwar 1
Date of Publication :3rd April 2017
Abstract: Generally a bituminous mixture is a mixture of coarse aggregate, fine aggregate, filler and Binder. Hot Mix Asphalt is a bituminous mixture where all constituents are mixed, placed and compacted at high temperature. HMA can be Dense Graded mixes (DGM) known as Bituminous Concrete (BC). In the present study, an attempt has been made to study the effects of use of Synthetic fiber called Polypropylene fiber as an additive in BC. For preparation of the mixes aggregate gradation has been taken as per MORTH specification, binder content has been varied regularly from 5% to 7% and fiber content Varied from 1% to maximum 9% of total mix. Using Marshall Procedure Optimum Fiber Content (OFC) and Optimum bitumen Content (OBC) are arrived at for BC mixes. The BC prepared at OBC and OFC are subjected to different performance tests like Marshall Stability, Marshall Flow, unit weight, Air Void, Void in Mineral Aggregate (VMA) and Void Filled with Bitumen (VFB). The results indicated that adding (5%) of the Synthetic fiber by the total weight of Bitumen with (12mm) length increases Marshall stability value as compared with the conventional mix.
- V.S.Punith, R. Sridhar, Dr.AVeeraragavan, A (2007) “Behavior of asphalt concrete mixture with reclaimed polyethylene as additive” Journal of material in civil engineering ASCE/June 2007/501.
- ASTM D 1559 (1989), “Test Method for Resistance of Plastic Flow of Bituminous Mixtures Using Marshall Apparatus”
- IS: 2386 (1963), “Methods of Test for Aggregates for Concrete (P-IV): Mechanical Properties”, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS SP 73 (2007),“ Paving bitumen Specifications” , Indian Standards Institution, New Delhi,India
- IS: 2386 (1963), “Methods of Test for Aggregates for Concrete (P - I): Particle Size and Shape”, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS: 2386 (1963),“Methods of Test for Aggregates for Concrete(P-III):SpecificGravity, Density, Voids, Absorption, Bulking”, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi
- IS: 1203 (1978) “Methods for Testing Tar and Bituminous Materials: Determination of Penetration”, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS: 1205 (1978), “Methods for Testing Tar and Bituminous Materials: Determination of Softening Point”, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.