Author : Abhilash M. B 1
Date of Publication :5th April 2017
Abstract: The objective of this paper is to investigate the effect of Fluid Viscous Dampers (FVDs) on the seismic response of a structure. This study includes seismic retrofit of FVDs to Special Moment Resisting Frames (SMRFs) and comparison of its behavior. A 15 storey structure was considered in this study which was modelled in the ETabs software. The diagonal bracing system was considered for the damper configuration. The structures i.e., the bare frame and the retrofitted frame were subjected to response spectrum analysis. Various parameters such as storey displacements, storey drifts and storey shears were compared for the bare frame and the retrofitted frame. Results indicated that the Fluid Viscous Damper significantly reduces the effects due to an earthquake and is an effective retrofit tool against seismic actions
- N. B. A. Ras, “seismic energy dissipation study of linear fluid viscous dampers in steel structure design,” alexandria engineering journal, pp. 2821-2832, 2016.
- F. Christopoulos, passive supplemental damping and seismic isolation, 2006.
- A. E. Silvia l. Dimova, “seismic intensity parameters for fragility analysis of structures with energy dissipating devices,” structural safety 24, pp. 1-28, 2002.
- A. F. A. A. Mohammadjavad hamidia, “seismic collapse capacity–based evaluation and design of frame buildings with viscous dampers using pushover analysis,” american society of civil engineers, 2014.
- J. L. H. K. Jinkoo kim, “seismic retrofit of special truss moment frames using viscous dampers,” journal of constructional steel research, pp. 53-67, 2016.
- C. L. A. I. Gökhan pekcan, “damage avoidance design of special truss moment frames with energy dissipating devices,” journal of constructional steel research, pp. 1374- 1384, 2009.
- C. T. Harun deniz ölmez, “a numerical study on special truss moment frames with vierendeel openings,” journal of constructional steel research, pp. 667-677, 2011.
- H.-j. K. Dong-hyeon shin, “influential properties of hysteretic energy dissipating devices on collapse capacities of frames,” journal of constructional steel research, pp. 93-105, 2016.