Author : Ramakrishnaiah 1
Date of Publication :11th April 2017
Abstract: The physical (density and water absorption) and mechanical (tensile, flexural, impact and hardness) properties of banana empty fruit bunch fiber -glass fiber- oil palm empty fruit bunch particles- reinforced polyester composite were investigated. The natural fibers were extracted and processed locally. Thereafter, the test specimens were prepared using polyester resin with different compositions and prepared in accordance with ASTM standards. The results showed that as the banana fiber content was increased, there was a corresponding decline in the flexural strength. However, increasing the glass fiber content resulted in a corresponding increase in flexural strength. Composite with palm empty fruit bunch OPEBF 5 wt. % banana fiber 10wt% /glass fiber10 (wt.%) produced high impact strength of 55.556J/m2 representing 1568.67% improvement over that of the virgin unsaturated polyester. It was discovered that banana fiber of 15wt% and glass fiber of 5wt% hybrid composite had the highest hardness (3.55HV) representing 136.67% improvement on the hardness of the polyester (1.5HV). It was observed that the hardness of the samples was influenced by increase in banana fiber content in the composite. Thus, banana fiber composite could be considered for applications in areas where high impact strength is a requirement such as in some parts of automobile vehicle.
- Mallick P.K.: Fiber-reinforced composites. In: Materials, manufacturing and design. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker, Inc; (1989).
- Venkatasubramanian, H., Chaithanyan, C., Raghuraman, S. and Panneerselvam, T.: Evaluation of mechanical properties of abaca- glass-banana fiber reinforced hybrid composite, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 3, 1, (2014).
- Bledzki A.K. and Gassan J.: Natural fiber reinforced plastics. In Handbook of engineering polymeric materials., Nicholas P., Cheremisinoff ed., CRC Press, New York, Chapter 52, 787 (1997).
- Samivel, P. and Babu, A.R.: Mechanical behaviour of stacking sequence in kenaf and banana fiber reinforcedpolyester laminate. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research. 2, 4, 348-360, (2013).
- Dharmalingam, T. G.and Raj, P. P.: Study of mechanical properties of banana-coir hybrid composite using experimental and fem techniques. Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Sciences (JMES), 4, 518-531, (2013).
- Soma Dalbehera S. and Acharya K.: Study on mechanical properties of natural fiber reinforced woven juteglass hybrid epoxy composites. Advances in Polymer Science and Technology, 4 (1), 1-6, (2014)